fb-pixel Skip to main content

The man accused of killing two doctors in their South Boston penthouse dropped to his knees and urged police to shoot him in the moments before he was apprehended, an officer testified Tuesday.

Boston police Officer Steven Collette told jurors he was in the hallway outside the couple’s 11th-floor condominium when he heard an officer shout, “Boston police, make yourself known,” followed by “Gun! Gun! Gun!” and “Drop your weapon!”

He heard gunshots coming from inside the apartment, where another officer had confronted Bampumim Teixeira. Seconds later, Teixeira appeared in the doorway “pointing in my direction” with what he believed was a gun, Collette recounted at Teixeira’s murder trial in Suffolk Superior Court.


Collette said he fired at Teixeira, who remained standing. He fired again, wounding him.

“He was coming toward me on his knees with his hands behind his back shouting, ‘Shoot me! Shoot me!” Collette testified.

Before Collette and four other officers arrived at the Macallen Building on May 5, 2017, Teixeira had snuck inside and fatally stabbed Dr. Lina Bolaños, 38, and her fiance, Dr. Richard Field, 49, in an attempted robbery, prosecutors said. Teixeira had briefly worked in the building as a concierge in 2016 and had completed a nine-month sentence for two bank robberies just weeks before the murders.

Police were called to the Dorchester Avenue building after a friend received text messages from Field’s cellphone saying there was a gunman in the apartment.

No gun was found at the scene. Police later found a BB gun in a backpack, Teixeira’s lawyer said.

Collette told jurors that as officers tackled Teixeira and tried to handcuff him, he said, “You’re all going to die; there’s a sniper on the roof” and “They killed my wife.”

Teixeira, 33, who came to the United States in 2010, was not married.


Police had initially entered the condominium around 8:30 p.m. with keys that Bolaños had dropped in the hallway when she was ambushed after coming home shortly before 5 p.m. Field arrived at the condominium nearly two hours later.

After the confrontation with Teixeira spilled into the hall, police were locked out of the apartment and the SWAT team used a battering ram to get inside.

Boston police Officer Christopher Carr, a member of the SWAT team, described a gruesome scene, as Field and Bolaños were found dead in separate bedrooms, face down with their hands tied behind their backs.

“There were no signs of life,” Carr told jurors. There was a large amount of blood and both victims were covered with a white substance. He said the words “he killed my wife” were written on a wall and an X was drawn through a picture.

Carr didn’t describe what the white substance was, but said the apartment floor was also covered with something that made it “extremely slippery.”

“It was like walking on ice,” he said.

The jurors were shown photographs of the doctors’ bodies after a warning from the judge.

“You are about to see two photographs that can be difficult to look at,” said Superior Court Judge Mitchell Kaplan, who is presiding over the trial. He added that they must decide the case based on the evidence “without letting emotion or sympathy color your decision.”

Bolaños’s mother, Ana Vergara, who came from Spain to attend the trial, and Field’s mother, Kate Martin Zamora, sat in the gallery with other relatives, just feet from Teixeira.


Peter Janeliunas, an EMT who treated Teixeira at the scene, testified that Teixeira sustained two gunshot wounds in his right thigh and cut his left hand. Teixeira was alert but refused to give his name, date of birth, or address, he said. He was dressed in dark clothes and was wearing dark gloves.

On Tuesday, jurors boarded a bus outside the courthouse and were taken for a view of the condominium that Field purchased for $1.94 million in 2013. He and Bolaños were both anesthesiologists.

On Monday, prosecutors played a 911 call Bolaños made as she and Field were being held hostage. Her voice was muffled, and a police dispatcher couldn’t make out what she was saying. Four additional 911 calls were made but they didn’t go through because the caller either hung up or was disconnected, officials said.

Shelley Murphy can be reached at shmurphy@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @shelleymurph.