fb-pixelQuincy 3-year-old ‘The Mighty Quinn’ making strides battling brain cancer, taken off feeding tube - The Boston Globe Skip to main content

Quincy 3-year-old ‘The Mighty Quinn’ making strides battling brain cancer, taken off feeding tube

"The Mighty Quinn" with Bruins player Charlie Coyle. Jim Davis/Globe Staff

Quinn Waters, the 3-year-old son of Quincy police Officer Tara Waters, has made remarkable strides in his battle against cancer and no longer requires a feeding tube, a welcome development in a story that’s rallied the Police Department and the region.

Quinn’s family posted an update on Sunday on The Mighty Quinn, his Facebook page. “Happy to report our Mighty Quinn is 100% feeding tube free . . . he’s had the NG tube since February and only went without it during his high dose chemotherapy prior to the stem cell transplants,” the posting said. “I mean isn’t he the handsomest — and that hair.”


The posting said Quinn remains “on medications and we need to weigh him daily to make sure he’s consistently gaining, but another hurdle our little warrior has tackled!”

In an earlier posting Sunday, Quinn’s family urged the public to consider donating blood to help other children.

“We are a bit emotional today, we have so many amazing days ahead between now and Christmas Eve which is just 1 month away!” the posting said. “We know how lucky we are to be at home for the holidays with Quinn, please consider helping us bring home some children which may only be possible through your whole blood donations.’’ the posting said, adding “platelets are more vital, however you can only donate those at the Blood Donor Center at Boston Children’s Hospital. If you have 30 minutes to spare on December 21st —we would love to meet you at the Mighty Quinn Blood Drive at the Mad Hatter!”

Quinn was diagnosed with a brain tumor in February, and the Globe reported in late July that he was back home after months of hospitalizations and chemotherapy. His story has inspired many and even drawn the attention of local celebrities such as rockers The Dropkick Murphys, who played a private concert outside Quinn’s window in August.


He’s also befriended Bruins center Charlie Coyle, who handed Quinn the puck after a ceremonial puck drop during a game last month at TD Garden. Coyle said at the time that he was thrilled to learn Quinn’s health was improving.

“He’s out and about, getting to live his life,” Coyle said. “It’s great he’s feeling healthier and healthier. It was pretty emotional for them and some other people, and you feel emotions in yourself when you see him walking out and giving fist-bumps, and the crowd on their feet.”

Waters’s colleagues have also supported her son.

In July, two Quincy police officers paid a special visit to his window to say hello, a gesture that was greatly appreciated by Quinn and his family.

“[Quincy police] heard that Quinnie loves getting visitors to ‘his window’ since he started his isolation, so what did they do? They of course made a quick stop to say hi! Quinn thought this was just amazing,” said a July posting on The Mighty Quinn.

Waters called the officers who chatted with Quinn through the window “the greatest co-workers ever” in a Facebook post.

Facebook photos and videos from the July visit showed the two officers parking their motorcycles in Waters’s driveway and greeting Quinn at the window. When they drove away, he waved and shouted, “Be safe!”

Matt Porter of the Globe Staff and Globe Correspondent Alyssa Lukpat contributed to this report.