Buyer’s remorse, and a mysterious grenade

After using her parents’ credit card, a female in Marblehead felt guilty and called the police.
After using her parents’ credit card, a female in Marblehead felt guilty and called the police.(Shutterstock/Duc Dao)

Every day, police officers respond to reports of all sorts of events and nonevents, most of which never make the news. Here is a sampling of lesser-known — but no less noteworthy — incidents from police log books (a.k.a. blotters) in our suburbs.


Shortly before 1 p.m. Dec. 27, Marblehead police received a phone call from a female who reported that she “wants to turn herself in for using her parents’ credit card excessively.” Police said her mother would be handling the situation.


At 8:11 p.m. Sept. 5, Peabody police received a call from three men who said they were locked in at Northeast Nursery on Dearborn Road and couldn’t get out. According to the police log, the three men were contractors for AT&T and had been working on cell towers when they got locked inside. The fire department was able to unlock the gate and the men were sent on their way.

A somewhat similar situation was reported in Bridgewater on the morning of Dec. 20, when a woman called 911 to report that the door to the ATM at the Santander Bank was broken and she was stuck inside. An officer was dispatched to help free the woman, and the bank was notified.



At 6:35 p.m. Dec. 3, Hingham police got a 911 call from a man who admitted that he “may have cut someone off” while driving and the motorist responded by throwing a bottle of shampoo at him. Police said no charges were filed.


At 7:15 p.m. Dec. 11, a landscaping company reported finding a hand grenade in a yard on Cedar Street in Wellesley. The Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad responded and removed the grenade, which turned out to be inert. Lieutenant Marie C. Cleary said it was most likely a grenade shell, because it didn’t have the trigger or handle. “These turn up in houses and back yards from time to time,” she said. “Many soldiers from WWII brought them back home and they then get discarded.”



Strange things can turn up in the darndest places, and when they do, the police are often notified. Here’s a sampling of some odd finds that were reported in 2018.

On June 18, the manager of a car rental company in Wilmington reported finding two mason jars of marijuana in a rental vehicle that had just been returned.

Four days later, on June 22, a small vial of liquid was discovered in a mailbox on Jacquith Road in Wilmington. The resident took the vial out of the mailbox and left it on a rock wall out front. An officer retrieved the mysterious vial and brought it to the police station.

On Aug. 13, a resident told Concord police that a kayak suddenly showed up in his yard, and he had no idea where it came from. (It didn’t have any ID numbers on it either, according to the log entry.) A cruiser was dispatched to pick up the kayak.

On Aug. 17, a woman called Stow police to report that she spotted two pillows in the street — one on Maple Street and one on Old Bolton Road.

On Oct. 18, a man walked into the Marblehead police station and said that the Department of Public Works had picked up an “adult tricycle” and put it in the DPW garage. According to the police log, the man said, “if no one claims it, he’d like the trike.”


On Nov. 18, a concerned citizen told Stow police that someone abandoned two sofas and a large punching bag on the side of the road across from conservation land. Police contacted the highway department to handle the furniture removal.

On Nov. 10, a woman in Saugus told police that she “opened her mail box and found a sex toy inside.” She told police she believed it may have been put there by her neighbor. The officer who responded to the call reported finding no evidence showing that the neighbor was responsible.

Emily Sweeney can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @emilysweeney.