You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Sal Castro, 79; worked for rights of Chicano students

LOS ANGELES — Sal Castro, a social studies teacher who played a leading role in 1960s Chicano student walkouts, died Monday at age 79.

Mr. Castro had thyroid cancer and died at his home, his wife, Charlotte Lerchenmuller, told the Los Angeles Times.

Continue reading below

The son of Mexican immigrants, Mr. Castro was born in Los Angeles but spent some of his early childhood in Mexico. He could not speak English when he returned to Los Angeles in the second grade and was made to sit in the corner.

‘‘I started thinking, these teachers should be able to understand me,’’ Mr. Castro said in a 1988 interview with The Times. ‘‘I didn’t think I was dumb; I thought they were dumb.’’

Mr. Castro was a social studies teacher at Lincoln High School near downtown in March 1968 when he supported and joined walkouts by hundreds of Mexican-American students.

Their ‘‘blowouts’’ protested run-down and overcrowded East Los Angeles schools, poor teachers, and discrimination. Mr. Castro had earlier worked with students and graduates to present the school board with a list of demands intended to improve the schools.

‘‘The curriculum largely ignored or denied Mexican-American history,’’ said a statement from the Los Angeles Unified School District. ‘‘Chicano students were forbidden from speaking Spanish, and often, in spite of strong academic abilities, they were steered toward menial jobs instead of college.’’

Walkouts lasted several days and spread to 15 schools. Mr. Castro and 12 others were arrested. He was jailed for five days and charged with 30 counts of conspiracy, but the charges were dropped.

Mr. Castro was fired after the walkouts, but was rehired after weeks of protests by local parents. He retired in 2004.

Salvador B. Castro Middle School was dedicated to him in 2010.

Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.