Frances Monson, 85, wife of Mormon church president

Thomas and Frances Monson waved to the crowd after they attended the 2011 general conference in Salt Lake City.
Tom Smart/Deseret News
Thomas and Frances Monson waved to the crowd after they attended the 2011 general conference in Salt Lake City.

SALT LAKE CITY — The wife of the president of the Mormon church has died.

Frances B. Monson, 85, died Friday at a hospital in Salt Lake City, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced.

Church president Thomas S. Monson said his wife was the family’s beacon of love, compassion, and encouragement. The couple’s three children said she had a knack for budgeting, bookkeeping, and finding deals. She excelled at math and science and was the one in the house who fixed electrical switches or plumbing leaks.


She once left a note reading, ‘‘Dear children, do not let Daddy touch the microwave or the stove or the dishwasher or the dryer.’’

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Publicly, she shied away from the spotlight during her husband’s time as head of the church. She made occasional appearances at the church’s biannual general conferences, but opted not to give any speeches, said Matthew Bowman, assistant professor of religion at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia.

‘‘She was fairly quiet,’’ said Bowman, who wrote a book about the Mormon church in 2012. ‘‘She didn’t want to be viewed as figurehead or public figure.’’

The cause of death was not immediately disclosed. The church said she had been hospitalized for several weeks and was surrounded by her family at the time of death.

Frances Monson grew up in Salt Lake City during the Great Depression. She was the youngest of five children and her parents’ only daughter. She was named after her father, Franz E. Johnson.


She graduated from East High School in Salt Lake City and studied math and science at the University of Utah. She played the piano and often played tennis at Liberty Park as a teenager.

During college, she worked in the accounting division of a department store to help pay for school. It was during her university days that she met her husband, who like her, was of Swedish descent.

They were wed in the Salt Lake Temple in 1948. The couple had three children: Thomas Lee, Ann Frances, and Clark Spencer.

Mrs. Monson taught her boys to raise Birmingham Roller pigeons. She was a bargain hunter, reading both Salt Lake City newspapers daily searching for coupons and deals, her daughter said. As the family’s handywoman, she spent Christmas morning assembling bikes, toys, and doll houses.

She was also known as a supportive wife. In an often-repeated story, Mrs. Monson once stood next to a window to hear her husband give a speech even after ushers told her that women were not allowed to stand in the doorway to listen.


‘‘She pressed gender roles of the church in very subtle, but interesting ways,’’ Bowman said.

Mormon church officials said in their press release that Mrs. Monson ‘‘will forever be remembered for her kindness and quiet, sustained support of her husband in his church duties.’’

Funeral arrangements were pending.