You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Jim Bradford, 84; won Olympic medals on unpaid leave from job

Jim Bradford (center) with American Olympians boxer Novel Lee (left) and canoeist Frank Havens in 1952.

Douglas Chevalier/Washington Post

Jim Bradford (center) with American Olympians boxer Novel Lee (left) and canoeist Frank Havens in 1952.

WASHINGTON — Jim Bradford, who died Sept. 13 at 84, spent much of his life in quiet obscurity at the Library of Congress as an assistant bookbinder and a researcher. But he was a most unusual library employee — a 6-foot, 287-pound weight lifter and two-time Olympian. He could easily have been mistaken for a National Football League tackle, Washington Post sportswriter Shirley Povich once said of him.

In the heavyweight category, Mr. Bradford twice took home a silver medal, at the 1952 Olympic Games in Helsinki and the 1960 Games in Rome.

Continue reading below

He was largely unfeted in Washington in the 1950s. He had to take unpaid leave to compete on the world stage. ‘‘Nah, they just ignored it,’’ he told Washington Post journalist David Maraniss, author of the book ‘‘Rome 1960: The Olympics That Changed the World.’’ ‘‘I come back to my job and that is it. That was par for the course then.’’

Mr. Bradford said he was a 15-year-old ‘‘butterball’’ at Washington’s Armstrong High School when he took up weights after seeing inspiring stories in a weight-lifting magazine. ‘‘I was a natural slob, a regular 5 by 5,’’ he told the Post.

With a set of dumbbells, he began working out in his second-floor bedroom. But one night, the dumbbells rolled off his bed and crashed to the floor, sending plaster cascading down on his parents, who were sitting in the living room below.

Thereafter he did his lifting at a nearby gymnasium. He developed a certain technique that demonstrated his brute strength. ‘‘He lifted the bar with virtually no split of the legs on the way up, only bending his back as he lifted over his head,’’ Maraniss wrote. This unorthodox approach developed ‘‘not from his prowess but from a fear of dropping the weights during his practices at the Y. . . . He knew he would get kicked out if he dropped the barbells and scarred the floor.’’

By 1950, Mr. Bradford was good enough to win the Amateur Athletic Union junior championship. ‘‘Those weights are my friends,’’ he later said. ‘‘They tell me they want to be lifted.’’ He was soon being tutored by Bob Hoffman, an entrepreneur and coach who owned a company that manufactured Olympic-style weight lifting equipment.

At the 1952 Games, Mr. Bradford came in second to American John Davis in the heavyweight category. Four years later, following Army service, he qualified for the Olympics in Melbourne but did not go, staying home with his pregnant wife. Povich reported that Mr. Bradford’s wife didn’t want him traipsing all over the world for no remuneration.

But he vied again in 1960, with the Olympic team purportedly aiming to knock the Soviets down a peg in athletic revenge after the Russian triumph in space with the 1957 Sputnik satellite launch.

By the time he got to Rome, Mr. Bradford was considered one of the world’s best weight lifters in the press competition, in which the barbell is lifted from the floor to the chest and then smoothly over the head. The other two categories in which all contenders competed at the time were the snatch and the clean-and-jerk, each of which was a variation of the same movement but required different positioning of the legs and feet.

During the three-part event, Mr. Bradford finished second to Russian heavyweight Yuri Vlasov, whose combined weight lifted was 1,182½ pounds. Mr. Bradford lifted 1,127½ pounds.

At one point, it appeared that Mr. Bradford had won the Olympic gold when the judges disqualified Vlasov for an improper procedure in one of his lifts. That disqualification was overturned on an appeal.

Mr. Bradford said he was crushed by the ruling, which he realized would cost him the gold. Maraniss said the disappointment was what drove him from competitive weight lifting.

Nevertheless, he and his Soviet counterpart were friendly. In 1961, Mr. Bradford accepted Vlasov’s offer to visit the Soviet Union for a weight-lifting tour. They traveled in a specially built Russian automobile, originally intended as a gift to President Dwight D. Eisenhower, whose planned trip to the Soviet Union had been canceled following the shooting down of spy-plane pilot Francis Gary Powers in 1960.

In his travels, Mr. Bradford discovered a vast difference between the way world-class athletes were treated in the Soviet Union and in the United States. Vlasov ‘‘asked me how much did my government pay me for weight lifting. I said they didn’t pay me anything,’’ he said.

Vlasov said he ‘‘couldn’t believe I had to work,’’ when Mr. Bradford told him that after Rome he returned to his $56-a-week job at the Library of Congress and was struggling to pay his mortgage. Vlasov said he paid no rent and his wife got free food at a special grocery store. He was also made a captain in the Red Army.

The Soviets, perhaps sensing a propaganda coup, made overtures to Mr. Bradford to stay.

‘‘I could feel this undercurrent of defection,’’ he said.

But his Army experience fighting communists in the Korean War and the limited freedoms were enough to make him go back to the United States, despite racial injustices.

‘‘Say what you want,’’ Mr. Bradford told Maraniss. ‘‘I still think this is the greatest country on earth, with all its problems.’’ (Vlasov won the silver at the 1964 Games in Tokyo and had dismal results when he ran for the presidency in 1996.)

James Edward Bradford was born in Washington and was a lifelong resident of the District. He received a master’s in library science from Federal City College in 1976 and a master’s degree from a Washington program of Central Michigan University in 1979. About eight years ago, he retired from the Library of Congress.

He leaves his wife of 60 years, Grace Robertson Bradford; three children, James E. Jr., Sharleen B. Kavetski, and Jo; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Mr. Bradford died at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring of congestive heart failure,.

In the Olympic Village at the 1960 Games in Rome, Mr. Bradford was asked why he had not called in sick instead of taking unpaid leave to compete.

‘‘Wouldn’t that be great!’’ he told the Post. ‘‘What would they think back at the library about a guy on sick leave the day he sets a new record for the weight lift at the Olympics?’’

Want each day's news headlines delivered fresh to your
inbox every morning? Just connect with us
in one of the following ways:
Please enter a valid email will never post anything without asking.
Privacy Policy
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of