John Redman/Associated Press/file
SYDNEY — After he eliminated the top-seeded player at Wimbledon 30 years ago, Peter Doohan said he was ‘‘in a state of disbelief.’’
He wasn’t the only one.
Mr. Doohan, then 26, was ranked No. 70 and hadn’t won a Wimbledon match until he stumbled past 123rd-ranked Alex Antonitsch in the first round in 1987. But he earned the nickname ‘‘the Becker Wrecker’’ by stunning the defending champion, Boris Becker, 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
His victory was considered one of the biggest upsets in the storied tournament’s history.
“I looked at the draw and saw Becker in the second round,” Mr. Doohan told the Globe in London that year. “I said to myself, ‘Another bad draw. Guess I’ll have to wait until next year.’ ’’
Mr. Doohan, who was diagnosed nine weeks ago with a particularly aggressive form of what is known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, died Saturday, Tennis Australia said in a statement. He was 56.
An Australian who played at the University of Arkansas, Mr. Doohan advanced the fourth round at Wimbledon in 1987, his best run at the tournament.
At Arkansas, Mr. Doohan was an All-American and won an NCAA doubles title. As a pro, he reached No. 15 in doubles and won five titles.
But he will be best remembered for his victory over Becker at Wimbledon.
“He’s a win-or-lose player with his shots,” Becker said after the match. “He was magic the way he guessed my shots and returned my serve. I didn’t play my best, but he won it. He played perfect. I expected him to crack, and I win easy. He never cracked.”
Mr. Doohan knew the odds he faced that day were long.
“They tell me I was 500-1 against to win that match,” he said after the victory. “Understandable. I’m a good grass court player, but I learned at Queen’s [Wimbledon tuneup], where he beat me, 6-2, 6-4, that Boris is invincible on grass. I was wrong.”
Mr. Doohan coached in the United States after he retired, and returned to Australia in 2009, Tennis Australia said
He leaves his mother, two sons, and two sisters.
In an interview Friday, Chang confirmed he is stepping down, after three years, saying he is in active negotiations with the Boston School Committee “for a mutual parting of ways.”Continue reading »
The verdict signified long-awaited justice for the family of Steven DiSarro, a South Boston nightclub owner killed 25 years ago.Continue reading »
Governor Charlie Baker’s office said Friday night that his adult son A.J. will cooperate with any investigation into an alleged incident on a JetBlue flight earlier this week.Continue reading »
Friday’s announcement of Superintendent Tommy Chang’s impending departure from the Boston school system took few parents by surprise. They knew he had been on shaky ground for several months — the question was when he would leave.Continue reading »
That beautiful plant with white flowers that appeared out of nowhere in your backyard might be trouble.Continue reading »
Arlington variety shop Balich 5 & 10 is finally closing its doors after 64 years.Continue reading »
Boston school officials have repeatedly refused to disclose how often they give student information to federal immigration authorities.Continue reading »
The civil complaint was filed by lawyers for State Trooper Ryan Sceviour in Suffolk Superior Court.Continue reading »
A relative of the mother and three children who were found murdered in their central Massachusetts home in March has been indicted on charges that he misled investigators looking into the deaths.Continue reading »