The Burlington Historical Museum recently closed to allow for renovations to the building and some reorganization of its exhibits. Most of the renovations will be carried out in the basement. The museum, on the corner of Bedford and Cambridge streets, will reopen when the work is completed, which is expected this fall, according to the Historical Commission. The building was constructed in 1855 as a schoolhouse to accommodate a growing student population. The Center School, as it was known, closed in 1897 when the building was converted for use as the town’s public library. It remained a library for 70 years and then for nine years was used as the police station. It was renovated to become a museum soon after that. The Historical Commission, which maintains the museum, presents exhibits during the year and hosts tours for schoolchildren.