Abbie Bresnahan, Newburyport: Locking up the Division 3 state semifinal against Cardinal Spellman, the sophomore striker booted a 25-yard goal in the second half to hand the Clippers a 3-0 cushion. She also drew a penalty kick in the final minute of the first half, which senior captain Carly Brand converted for the first score.
Kevin Gilbert, Masconomet: With the Division 2 North final against North Andover tied, 1-1, with 12 minutes remaining, the junior defender launched a 50-yard free kick into the back of the net. The two goals were the only tallies against the Scarlet Knights in the postseason.
Thayrone Miranda, Somerville: The All-American senior striker continued his scoring prowess, scoring the first goal in a 2-1 victory over Silver Lake in the Division 1 state semis. He also tallied the game-winner and an insurance goal in the Highlanders’ 4-1 win over St. John’s Prep in the North final.
Madison Shaw, Austin Prep: Early in the second half of the Division 4 North final against Georgetown, the senior midfielder arced a 25-yard free kick into the top right corner for the only score of the game. She also set up the game-winner on a corner kick in the Cougars’ 2-0 state semifinal win over Ursuline on Tuesday.
Kellie Souza, Wilmington: Facing Concord-Carlisle’s penalty kick unit in the Division 2 North final on Monday, the sophomore keeper made two critical saves, both of which kept the Wildcats’ season alive in a 2-1 win. Three days earlier, she made 14 saves in a 2-0 sectional semifinal shutout over Arlington.
Snow’s Top 10 boys’ teams
1. Somerville (21-1-1); played Friday
2. Masconomet (21-1-1); played Thursday
3. North Andover (21-1); lost to Masconomet, 2-1
4. St. John’s Prep (17-3-1); lost to Somerville, 4-1
5. Wilmington (17-4-1); lost to Bedford, 1-0
6. Georgetown (13-3-7); lost to Cohasset, 2-0
7. Malden (12-8-1); lost to Somerville, 3-0
8. Peabody (12-2-5); lost to Malden, 1-0 (OT)
9. North Reading (12-6-1); lost to Watertown, 1-0 (OT)
10. Hamilton-Wenham (12-5-5); lost to Georgetown, 2-0
Snow’s Top 10 girls’ teams
1. Newburyport (20-0-2); played Saturday
2. Wilmington (19-1-1); played Thursday
3. Austin Prep (18-1-3); played Saturday
4. Central Catholic (18-1); lost to Acton-Boxborough, 1-0
5. Beverly (16-4-2); lost to Concord-Carlisle, 2-1 (OT)
6. Masconomet (15-1-5); lost to Newton North, 5-0
7. Lynnfield (16-3-2); lost to Newburyport, 1-0 (PK)
8. Peabody (13-3-4); lost to Masconomet, 1-0
9. Haverhill (13-3-4); lost to Acton-Boxborough, 2-0
10. Hamilton-Wenham (13-5-3); lost to Newburyport, 3-0
TAYLOR C. SNOWTaylor C. Snow can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @taylorcsnow.