Andrew Benson, East Bridgewater: The senior is building an impressive resume against Rockland: He rushed for 3 TDs and passed for another score in a 34-7 win on Thanksgiving Day. On the court, in what has been a disappointing season for the Vikings, the 5-foot-10 forward poured in 20 points and collected a whopping 20 rebounds as East Bridgewater shocked the Bulldogs, 60-58.
Dan Gould, North Quincy: In a Patriot League Fisher-Keenan crossover matchup, the 5-foot-9 senior guard drained seven 3-pointers on his way to a 26-point night in an 82-64 win over Silver Lake.
Brian Mukasa, Sharon: The weather-forced layoff didn’t hurt the junior point guard, who poured in 32 points, teaming up with James Fritzson (31 points) as the Eagles spoiled Senior Night at Oliver Ames, 89-71.
Michela North, Duxbury: The senior captain netted more than a third of her team’s points, putting up 25 in a 65-32 win over Quincy as the Dragons remained unbeaten in the Patriot League (11-0).
Sara Ryan, Archbishop Williams: A well-rounded game (16 points, 6 assists, 6 steals) from the Quincy resident led the the Bishops to their 14th of the season, a 72-33 triumph over rival Cardinal Spellman, and a step closer to clinching the Catholic Central title.
Healey’s Top 10 boys’ teams
(Records through Tuesday, with next game listed)
1. Mansfield (17-1); vs. Wakefield, Mon., 7:15
2. Wareham (15-1); vs. North Quincy, Tues., 6:30
3. Cardinal Spellman (13-3); vs. Franklin, Mon., 5:30
4. Rockland (16-2); state tournament
5. Brockton (9-5); vs. Duxbury (Bridgewater State tourney), Sun., 7:15
6. Scituate (12-3); vs. Plymouth North (Whitman-Hanson Winter Classic), Mon., 5
7. North Quincy (14-4); at Wareham, Tues., 6:30
8. Cohasset (14-4); vs. Nauset, Tues., 6:30
9. Hingham (12-6); vs. Norwell, Mon., 6:30
10. Norton (14-4); at Bishop Feehan, Wed., 6:30
Healey’s Top 10 girls’ teams
1. Oliver Ames (16-0); vs. Falmouth (Bridgewater State tourney), Sun., 7:15
2. Braintree (16-2); vs. Brockton (IAABBO Tournament), Sun., 1
3. Archbishop Williams (14-4); state tournament
4. Fontbonne (15-2); vs. Medway, Sun., 4:30
5. Abington (18-1); vs. Lincoln-Sudbury (Mansfield Tournament), Mon., 2
6. Duxbury (15-1); vs. Scituate (IAABBO Tournament), Sun., 3
7. Scituate (12-2); vs. Duxbury (IAABBO Tournament), Sun., 3
8. Foxborough (12-4); vs. Lunenburg, Mon., 7
9. Old Rochester (14-1); at Bourne, Sun., 1:30
10. Sharon (11-5); vs. Notre Dame (Hingham), Mon., 4
Game of the Week
Oliver Ames girls (16-0) vs. Falmouth (12-5), Bridgewater State Tournament, Sunday, 7:15
The Tigers are nearing a perfect regular season, and the tourney in Bridgewater, showcasing some of the top teams in the area, will be the last test before the playoffs. Captain Caitlyn Abela, averaging 20.7 points per game in her senior campaign, will probably carry the load, though junior Michaela Lievi (10.5) and senior Asia Mitchell (10.3) will also contribute. Don’t discount the Clippers, who are better than their record might indicate. After starting the season 2-4, Falmouth caught fire and boasts one of the top scorers in the state in sophomore guard Molly Bent, who puts up nearly 30 points per game. Last month, the Clippers recorded narrow wins over ACL foes Marshfield (Jan. 15, 48-44 in overtime) and Sandwich (Jan. 22, 60-59).
Tim Healey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter@timbhealey.