Boys’ soccer players to watch
Paul Beatty , Silver Lake: A three-year starter at striker, he led the Lakers in goals (nine) as a junior and is also one of the area’s top sprinters.
Damian Kozak , Canton: The returning Hockomock League all-star is expected to step forward as a scorer after the graduation of fellow conference all-star Mike Denehy. He netted two goals late last season against Milford as the Bulldogs secured their seventh straight tourney berth.
Lucas Rezende-Verge , Weymouth: After then-senior Scott Greenwood departed for the FC Greater Boston Bolts, this senior stepped in and delivered 11 shutouts and a spectacular 0.57 goals-against average, leading the Wildcats to the Division 1 South title.
Dave Stapleton , Oliver Ames: A defender for the Olympic Development Program’s Region 1 team, the senior will provide leadership to a youthful back line, and anchor OA’s hopes in the Division 2 South.
Nathan Townsend , Hingham: The senior defensive midfielder was a consistent force on offense through his team’s Division 2 South playoff run, which ended in the quarterfinals against Canton. He scored the game winner in a 2-1 upset of Silver Lake.
Cappiello’s Top 10 boys’ teams
(Listed with 2012 final record and next game)
1. Oliver Ames (15-3-3); at King Philip, Monday, 6:30
2. Weymouth (17-2-4); at Wellesley, Tuesday, 3:45
3. Silver Lake (13-4-3); vs. Hingham, Wednesday, 4
4. Canton (12-7-2); at North Attleborough, Monday, 3:30
5. Hingham (13-3-4); at Silver Lake, Wednesday, 4
6. Walpole (11-8-2); at Brookline, Tuesday, 4
7. Brockton (10-6-1); at Somerville, Monday, 4
8. Scituate (11-3-2); vs. Hanover, Wednesday, 3:30
9. Archbishop Williams (12-5-3); vs. Arlington Catholic, Monday, 5:15
10. Apponequet (11-3-3); at Dighton-Rehoboth, Monday, 3:30
Game of the week
Weymouth boys at Wellesley, Tuesday, 3:45 p.m.: Defending Division 1 South champion Weymouth visits Bay State (Herget) champion Wellesley, (12-4-2) which was eliminated in the first round of the South Sectional.
Peter Cappiello can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.