Workers at nail salons can take some simple steps to protect their health.
• Open doors and windows when possible.
• Close bottles tightly when not in use.
• Use products with the least hazardous chemicals, and avoid the “toxic trio” of toluene, formaldehyde, and dibutyl phthalate.
• Use metal trash cans with tight, self-closing lids.
• Wash hands before eating, drinking, and applying cosmetics.
• Take breaks outdoors.
• Keep food and drinks covered and do not store or eat food in work areas.
• Use an adjustable chair and sit with your feet flat on the floor and your back supported.
• Adjust lighting so you can see without having to bend over.
• Do gentle stretching exercises between sessions.
SOURCE: OSHASource: “Stay Healthy and Safe While Giving Manicures and Pedicures” from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.