When skunks crashed the pool party

Skunks have been keeping local police busy this summer.
Associated Press/File
Skunks have been keeping local police busy this summer.

Every day, police officers respond to reports of all sorts of events and non-events, most of which never make the news. Here is a sampling of lesser-known — but no less noteworthy — incidents from police log books (a.k.a. blotters) in our suburbs.


Close readers of this column are aware that skunks have a talent for getting their heads stuck in everything from ice cream cones to yogurt cups to bottles. It happened yet again on the morning of July 16, when Saugus police received reports of a skunk walking around with a can stuck on its head near North Shore Bank on Hamilton Street. Animal Control Officer Harry Young responded and found that this particular animal’s choice of headgear had been a slush cup, and that prior to his arrival a Good Samaritan successfully used a coat hanger to pry it off its noggin. A happy ending all around, as the creature could see once again and the rescuer had done so without getting sprayed. In Peabody in the wee hours of July 25, police had to deal with an apparent case of breaking-and-entering by a skunk. A Foxwood Circle condo owner called police at 1:48 a.m. to report she’d been awakened by a noise and saw a black and white animal in her unit. The responding officer was able to shoo the visitor outside. A similar incident occurred in Beverly on Aug. 10, when a Hillcrest Avenue resident called just before 9:30 p.m. to report an upstairs intruder in the house. What officers found, instead, was “a large skunk outside attempting to get into trash.” But the hands-down winner in the local skunk misbehavior category came Aug. 14 in Saugus, when a Stone Street woman called police to report that her neighbors “have been stuck in their pool for several hours because there are skunks circling the pool.” An animal control officer would later report that the skunks had run off into the woods, freeing the swimmers from their captivity.


At around 1:20 a.m. Aug. 11, a Brookline police officer responded to a report of an assault on Gibbs Street. The victim told police that he had been riding in an Uber pool — an arrangement in which an Uber driver picks up several passengers traveling to different destinations — and got an argument with one of the other riders. When he got out of the vehicle and began to walk home, he told police, the other passenger also stepped out and assaulted him. Officers canvassed the area, but couldn’t locate the suspect; the incident was referred to detectives.


At 6:47 p.m. Aug. 17, Marblehead police were dispatched to the corner of Mechanic Court and Mechanic Street, where an argument was supposedly taking place. A caller who wished to remain anonymous told police that there was a man “yelling and screaming and yelling racial slurs,” and that his ranting had been going on for 10 minutes. But the responding officers discovered that it wasn’t an argument, after all — at least not a real one. What they found, according to the police log entry, was people “making a movie about the recent attacks in Charlottesville.”



On Aug. 16 officers from the Massachusetts Environmental Police reported boarded a fishing vessel two miles north of Scituate and finding “numerous lobster violations.” Police escorted the boat back to Scituate Harbor. The captain and crew were subsequently arrested and charged with possession of oversized lobsters, possession of v-notch lobsters — breeding lobsters with their tails marked that are protected by law — as well as possession of egg-bearing lobsters and lobsters with their eggs removed. Those charged were arraigned in Hingham District Court and released on bail.


Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

At 2:21 a.m. Aug. 12, Bridgewater police received a 911 call from a man who said he went outside to smoke a cigarette and noticed someone sitting in the back seat of his car. He told police that the intruder appeared to be drunk and refused to get out of his vehicle. Police reported that the inebriated man eventually exited the car and was reunited with his wife, who took custody of him.

Emily Sweeney can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @emilysweeney.