OAKLAND, Calif. - A 43-year-old former student of a small Christian university in California opened fire at the school Monday, killing at least seven people and setting off an intense, chaotic manhunt that ended with his arrest at a nearby shopping center, authorities said.

Police Chief Howard Jordan said One L. Goh surrendered about an hour after the shooting at Oikos University. Jordan said police recovered the weapon they believe he used during the rampage.

“It’s going to take us a few days to put the pieces together,’’ Jordan said. “We do not have a motive.’’

Police first received a 911 call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a woman on the ground bleeding. As more calls came in from the school, the first arriving officer found a victim suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound, he said.


It was an “extremely chaotic scene,’’ Jordan said.

More officers arrived and formed a perimeter around the school on the belief that the suspect was still inside, he said.

“Potential victims remained inside the building either trapped by a locked door which officers were unable to open,’’ or unable to flee because they were injured, Jordan said.

There were about 35 people in or near the building when gunfire broke out, the chief said. Of the seven fatalities, five died at the scene and two others at the hospital. Three wounded victims are in stable condition, he said.

“This unprecedented tragedy was shocking and senseless,’’ Jordan said.

Soon after the shooting, heavily armed officers swarmed the school, located in a large industrial park near the Oakland airport, and, for at least an hour, believed the gunman could still be inside.

Art Richards said he was driving by the university on his way to pick up a friend when he spotted a woman hiding in the bushes and pulled over. When he approached her, she said, “I’m shot’’ and showed him her arm.


“She had a piece of her arm hanging out,’’ Richards said, noting that she was wounded near the elbow.

As police arrived, Richards said, he heard 10 gunshots from inside the building. The female victim told him that she saw the gunman shoot one person point-blank in the chest and another person in the head.

Tashi Wangchuk, whose wife attended the school and witnessed the shooting, said he was told by police that the assailant first shot a woman at the front desk, then continued shooting randomly in classrooms.

Wangchuk said his wife, Dechen Wangzom, was in her vocational nursing class when she heard gunshots. She told him she locked the door and turned off the lights, Wangchuk said. His wife was still being questioned by police Monday afternoon.

The gunman “banged on the door several times and started shooting outside and left,’’ he said. Wangchuk said no one was hurt inside his wife’s classroom but that the gunman shot out the glass in the door. He said she did not know the man.

“She’s a hero,’’ he said.

Myung Soon Ma, the school’s secretary, said she could not provide any details about what happened at the private school, which serves the Korean community with courses from theology to Asian medicine.

“I feel really sad, so I cannot talk right now,’’ she said, speaking from her home.

Those connected to the school, including the founder and several students, described the gunman as a former nursing student. The police chief said Goh is a Korean national who is a former student of the small university.


A call to the Korean consulate in San Francisco went unanswered Monday.

At Highland Hospital, Dawinder Kaur’s family told the Oakland Tribune that she was being treated for a gunshot wound to her elbow.

The Army Reservist told her family the gunman was a student in her nursing class who had been absent for months before returning Monday. The man entered the classroom and ordered students to line up against the wall.

When he showed his gun, students began running and he opened fire, her family said.

“She told me that a guy went crazy and she got shot,’’ her brother Paul Singh told the newspaper. “She was running. She was crying; she was bleeding, it was wrong.’’

Pastor Jong Kim, who founded the school about 10 years ago, told the Oakland Tribune that he did not know if the shooter was expelled or dropped out.

Kim said he heard about 30 rapid-fire gunshots in the building. “I stayed in my office,’’ he said.

The suspect was detained at a Safeway supermarket about 3 miles from the university, about an hour after the shooting.

A security guard at the supermarket approached the man because he was acting suspiciously, KGO-TV reported. The man told the guard that he needed to talk to police because he shot people, and the guard called authorities.