2 officers die in Atlanta copter crash

Police had been searching for boy, found hours later

Atlanta police gathered near where a helicopter hit a power line pole and crashed, killing two police officers on Saturday.


Atlanta police gathered near where a helicopter hit a power line pole and crashed, killing two police officers on Saturday.

ATLANTA — A low-flying police helicopter searching for a runaway boy hit a power line pole before it plummeted to the ground and exploded, killing both officers on board but leaving those on the ground unharmed.

Federal authorities were investigating what caused the copter to crash into power lines along a busy Atlanta street. Electricity was knocked out to nearby homes and businesses in an area filled with shopping plazas, fast-food restaurants, and a gas station.


The 9-year-old boy was found wandering on a city street a couple of hours after the crash late Saturday night, Officer John Chafee, an Atlanta police spokesman, said Sunday. The boy had run away after being scolded by his mother.

The two officers were identified Sunday as pilot Richard J. Halford, 48, of Lithia Springs, who had been with the department for 26 years, and Shawn A. Smiley, 40, of Lithonia, a tactical flight officer who joined the department two years ago.

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Atlanta Police Chief George Turner praised the two officers as public servants who died honorably in the search for the missing boy. Both men were fathers. Smiley had three children under the age of 10.

‘‘Every day, they provided air support for our officers, assisting in major events and searches for suspects and missing persons,’’ Turner said in a news release. ‘‘Their value to our citizens and our officers on the street is incalculable.’’

The families have asked for privacy, and trust funds have been set up at Wells Fargo bank locations to help them, said Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos.


Their deaths shook not only the police force, but the entire city.

‘‘It’s sad. It’s tragic. . . for someone to lose their lives trying to find a kid, trying to keep another family together,’’ Rodney Christian, 22, said as he and more than a dozen others looked at the scene in the early-morning darkness Sunday.

Christian said he thought of his 1-month-old baby. ‘‘It makes me want to rush home and get back to my kid.’’

The wreckage of the OH-6A helicopter had already been moved as investigators worked to piece together what happened, said Eric M. Weiss, a spokesman with the National Transportation Safety Board.

Part of the helicopter’s landing gear had to be removed from the cables with the help of the power company.

The NTSB investigators were going over maintenance records and had talked to witnesses.

‘‘They saw the aircraft, they heard the aircraft, and then they saw a flash of light when it hit the pole and then it crashed into the roadway,’’ investigator Ralph Hicks said.

‘It’s sad. It’s tragic. . . for someone to lose their lives trying to find a kid, trying to keep another family together.’

Quote Icon

Records with the Federal Aviation Administration showed the helicopter was a Hughes OH-6A manufactured in 1967. The Hughes has historically been a military workhorse.

Atlanta police referred questions about what caused the crash to federal investigators.

Bystander Darryl James, 42, said he had gone with a companion to a check-cashing store Saturday night when he heard the helicopter flying overhead and thought it was rather low.

‘‘The tail end went down and then there was an explosion,’’ James said. He said he tried to get close to the wreckage. ‘‘As soon as I got close enough to it, poom! It exploded.’’

James said people are often waiting at a normally busy bus stop near the crash site, adding, ‘‘Thank God nobody was out there.’’

After the crash, firetrucks and police cars with lights flashing converged on the area, blocking surrounding roads. Police put up yellow crime-scene tape and kept bystanders so far back they were unable to see the crash site behind a small rise.

Mayor Kasim Reed of Atlanta said he was saddened by the accident. ‘‘We mourn these two brave men and offer our deepest condolences to their families,’’ he said.

‘‘Losing an officer is the most difficult thing a police chief can face,’’ Turner said. ‘‘Losing two is an unthinkable tragedy.’’ Funeral arrangements have not been set.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of