Nation

Father of Conn. gunman claims body

HARTFORD — The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut elementary school, including 20 first-graders, has claimed his son’s body, a spokesman for the family said Monday.

The remains of Adam Lanza were claimed by Peter Lanza, the spokesman said.

Advertisement

The Connecticut medical examiner’s office said Lanza’s body was released on Thursday. Private funeral arrangements were made over the weekend.

Adam Lanza, 20, slaughtered the children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. He also killed his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

A private funeral was held earlier this month in New Hampshire for his mother, Nancy, who was divorced from Peter Lanza.

Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric.

Authorities have not offered a motive for the killings. State Police say they have been exploring all aspects of Adam Lanza’s life including his education, family history, and medical treatment for clues.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.