Phoenix gunman found dead of apparent suicide

The body of Arthur Harmon, who had killed an associate in a business dispute, was found in some bushes.
Jacques Billeaud /associated press
The body of Arthur Harmon, who had killed an associate in a business dispute, was found in some bushes.

PHOENIX — A man who shot and killed a call-center chief executive and critically wounded a lawyer at a Phoenix office building where they were meeting to discuss a contract dispute was found dead early Thursday, ending a nearly 24-hour manhunt.

A landscaper found the body of Arthur Douglas Harmon among some bushes in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa. Harmon, 70, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Authorities say Harmon drew a gun and shot two men at the end of a mediation session Wednesday. Steve Singer, 48, died hours later. Mark Hummels, 43, was in critical condition. A 32-year-old woman also was shot, but her injuries were not life-threatening.


‘‘We believe the two men were the targets,’’ Phoenix police Sergeant Tommy Thompson said.

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Harmon also fired at someone who tried to follow him to get his license plate number, authorities said.

Singer was the CEO of Scottsdale-based Fusion Contact Centers LLC, which had hired Harmon to refurbish office cubicles at two call centers in California.

According to court documents, Harmon was scheduled to go to a law office for a settlement conference in a lawsuit he filed against Fusion in April.

Fusion said Harmon was paid nearly $30,000 under the $47,000 contract. But the company asked him to repay much of the money when it discovered the cubicles could not be refurbished, according to the documents.


Harmon argued Fusion unfairly told him to remove and store 206 ‘‘worthless’’ work stations after the mix-up was discovered. Harmon said Fusion then told him that the company decided to use a competitor.