Next Score View the next score

    Former DA charged in flawed murder conviction

    GEORGETOWN, Texas — A judge Friday ordered the arrest of a former district attorney, accusing him of acting improperly when he prosecuted an innocent man who spent nearly 25 years in prison.

    Ken Anderson was in the courtroom as Judge Louis Sturns issued his ruling and turned himself in afterward. Sturns said there was sufficient evidence that Anderson was guilty on all three charges brought against him for his handling of the case against Michael Morton: criminal contempt of court, tampering with evidence, and tampering with government records.

    ‘‘Mr. Anderson consciously chose to conceal the availability of the exculpatory evidence so he could convict Mr. Morton for murder,’’ Sturns said. ‘‘This court cannot think of a more intrinsically harmful act than a prosecutor’s intentional choice to hide evidence so as to convict a defendant facing a murder charge and a life sentence.’’


    Morton, 58, was released from prison in October 2011 after new DNA tests showed he did not fatally beat his wife, Christine, in their north Austin home in 1986. Another man has been arrested for the killing. Anderson, who has been a judge in Williamson County since 2002, has apologized to Morton for what he called failures in the system but said he believes there was no misconduct in the case.

    Get Ground Game in your inbox:
    Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Anderson sat motionless as Sturns issued his ruling, then surrendered at the courthouse, where he serves as an elected district court judge. Anderson’s lawyer, Eric Nichols, said he plans to appeal the decision and said he believes the judge overstepped his authority.

    Morton, dressed in a gray sport jacket, listened intently to the proceedings.

    ‘‘I don’t want Ken Anderson’s head on a stick, and that’s true, but the system is going to do what it’s going to do,’’ he said. ‘‘We can’t change the past, but we can prevent this from happening again.’’

    Attorney Rusty Hardin, who served as the fact-finder, said Sturns granted Anderson $2,500 bond on each count. No trial date was set.


    Among the evidence Morton’s attorneys claim was kept from them were statements from Morton’s then-3-year-old son, who witnessed the murder and said his father wasn’t responsible and interviews with neighbors who told authorities they saw a man park a green van close to the Morton home.