ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The US Naval Academy on Wednesday charged three Navy football players with sexually assaulting a female midshipman at an off-campus house more than a year ago.
The academy said in a news release that the male midshipmen are being charged with rape, sexual assault, or other sexual misconduct, and making a false official statement.
The three students were not identified in the statement. It was not immediately clear if the three have an attorney, and the academy declined to comment further on the case.
The alleged assault occurred in April 2012 in Annapolis. The woman’s attorney, Susan Burke, has said Vice Admiral Michael Miller, the academy’s superintendent, closed an investigation into the same allegations last year without charges.
The academy announced Monday that Miller had decided to forward the case to Article 32 proceedings, which are held to determine if there is evidence for a court-marital.