NEW ORLEANS — One-way traffic began moving on the Mississippi River on Monday, while crews searched for a sunken tugboat.
Although 15 ships were waiting to travel upriver at one point, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash says the line had been cleared by late morning
Authorities don’t know why the 48-foot tugboat called ‘‘C-Pec’’ sank Saturday, or who owns it. A good Samaritan rescued both people on board. Petty Officer Carlos Vega says the Coast Guard doesn’t have their names.
The 10 miles starting at the river’s mouth were closed until Sunday night. The Coast Guard said it is unclear when two-way traffic will resume.
The cruise ship Carnival Conquest was diverted to Mobile, Ala. Its passengers are being bused from New Orleans to Alabama. Carnival’s Elation arrived in New Orleans on Monday and was to leave in the evening.
The Army Corps of Engineers and local authorities were helping with the search for the tug, which included the use of sonar.