Nation

Fort Hood shooting site to be razed

DALLAS — Fort Hood officials plan to demolish the medical building where 13 people were killed and more than 30 others were wounded during a shooting rampage four years ago, a spokesman for the Texas military base said Wednesday.

Building 42003 had been fenced off as a crime scene since Nov. 5, 2009, when Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan attacked his fellow soldiers as they waited inside the crowded building.

Advertisement

Officials haven’t decided what to do with the site once the building is removed, and opinions differ among survivors and the families of those killed. Some don’t want to see the building torn down.

‘‘We forget, and we can’t afford to do that,’’ said Kathy Platoni, an Army reservist who saw her friend, Captain John Gaffaney, bleed to death. ‘‘This stands for something that needs to be in the conscience and the conscious minds of the American populace.’’

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

But Joleen Cahill, the widow of Michael Cahill, a physician’s assistant who was shot while trying to charge Hasan, wants the building replaced with trees, benches, and a plaque commemorating the victims.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com