Next Score View the next score

    Fort Hood tears down site of 2009 massacre

    DALLAS — A Texas Army post has razed the building where a former psychiatrist carried out one of the worst mass shootings in US history, with plans to put up trees and a memorial in its place.

    Fort Hood officials said Tuesday that they have torn down Building 42003, the site of a 2009 massacre that left 13 people dead and more than 30 wounded.

    The building was part of a processing center complex for soldiers deploying and returning from combat. On Nov. 5, 2009, Nidal Hasan carried two weapons inside, shouted ‘‘Allahu Akbar!’’ — ‘‘God is great’’ in Arabic — and opened fire on soldiers waiting for vaccines and paperwork.


    As soldiers and civilians tried to take cover, Hasan, who was an Army major, walked through the building, targeting anyone in a green Army uniform. He left pools of blood and spent ammunition in his wake. He was eventually confronted outside the building by Fort Hood police officers, who shot him and paralyzed him from the waist down.

    Get Ground Game in your inbox:
    Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Hasan was convicted in August of charges related to the massacre and sentenced to death. He is on death row at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., while his case goes through a review at Fort Hood before it enters a series of mandatory appeals.

    The building was sealed off for nearly four years until post officials announced in November that they would demolish it.

    Fort Hood officials, who declined to be interviewed, plan to place trees, a gazebo, and a memorial plaque at the site.

    Not all victims and their relatives agree with them. Kathy Platoni, an Army reservist who saw her friend, Captain John Gaffaney, bleed to death, was one of the people who called on Fort Hood to keep the building standing as a reminder of what happened.

    Associated Press