Pilots killed in UPS cargo-jet crash complained of fatigue

Federal investigators gathered to study the tail section of the UPS cargo plane that crashed in Alabama last summer.
Hal YEAger/Associated Press
Federal investigators gathered to study the tail section of the UPS cargo plane that crashed in Alabama last summer.

WASHINGTON — The pilots of a UPS cargo jet that crashed last August complained about the company’s tiring work schedules at the start of the fatal flight, and then made errors shortly before the plane flew into a hillside and burst into flames, according to information presented at a hearing Thursday.

The pilots were killed in the predawn crash as they tried to land at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport in Birmingham, Ala., where the main runway was closed for maintenance. Captain Cerea Beal Jr. was attempting to land on a second, much shorter runway that wasn’t equipped with a full instrument landing system to help keep planes from coming in too high or too low.

UPS pilots typically land at airports without the aid of a full instrument landing system only about once or twice a year, according to information presented to the National Transportation Safety Board. The pilots also failed to complete a last step in programming the plane’s computer system for the landing. Without that step, the computer couldn’t provide critical navigation help, witnesses said.


The pilots realized the computer couldn’t help them but didn’t abort the landing and try again, which would have been the preferred and expected action, testimony indicated. Beal also set the descent rate for that runway too high — 1,500 feet of altitude per minute rather than the recommended 1,000 feet. Moments later, the plane struck the tops of trees and an alert sounded that it was about to hit the ground.

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

‘‘Oh, did I hit [something]?’’ Beal said, according to a transcript of the cockpit voice recorder. Then 3 seconds later, ‘‘Oh, oh God.’’ The recorder then cut off as the plane crashed.

Beal had complained to First Officer Shanda Fanning shortly after the flight left Louisville, Ky., that cargo pilots aren’t given as much time to rest between work shifts as federal regulations require for pilots at passenger airlines, the transcript showed.

Fanning agreed. She said she had ‘‘good sleep’’ the previous night but woke up tired anyway.

Regulations on pilot hours ‘‘should be across the board,’’ Beal said, ‘‘to be honest, in my opinion, whether you are flying passengers or cargo or, you know, a box of chocolates.”


Beal had recently expressed concern about the schedules at the cargo carrier, according to a summary of investigators’ interviews with witnesses.

‘‘About seven weeks before the accident, he told a colleague that the schedules were becoming more demanding because they were flying up to three legs per night,’’ according to a summary of interviews compiled by investigators. Beal said, ‘‘I can’t do this until I retire because it’s killing me,’’ and had a similar conversation with another colleague the night before the accident, the summary said.

In text messages at 11:18 a.m. the day before the crash, Fanning described her exhaustion in text messages retrieved by investigators.

UPS officials cautioned against concluding the pilots were fatigued, and therefore prone to error. They noted that documents indicate that Beal’s and Fanning’s schedules up until the crash would have met federal requirements for passenger airline pilots.

However, the pilots were scheduled for another night of flying after Birmingham, which would have violated limits on consecutive night shifts for passenger airline pilots, union officials said.