You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Sergeant sentenced in taping of female cadets

FORT DRUM, N.Y. — An Army sergeant who had been accused of secretly photographing and videotaping at least a dozen women at the US Military Academy at West Point has pleaded guilty in a court-martial, officials said Friday.

Sergeant First Class Michael McClendon agreed to a plea bargain Wednesday that includes a 33-month sentence, loss of pay, a reduction in rank to private, and a bad conduct discharge, according to officials at Fort Drum in northern New York.

Continue reading below

McClendon was a combat engineer who joined the military in 1990. He was assigned in 2009 to the support staff at West Point, where he worked with cadets.

He was charged last year with dereliction of duty, mistreatment, entering a women’s bathroom without notice, and taking and possessing inappropriate photos and videos of women who were naked or in various states of undress. He was then transferred to Fort Drum.

A statement released by Fort Drum said McClendon pleaded guilty to one charge including eight specifications involving indecent acts. A call seeking more information on details of McClendon’s plea wasn’t immediately returned Friday.

Continue reading it below

In exchange for the plea, the duration of McClendon’s confinement was reduced from 5 years to 33 months.

McClendon originally faced charges of violating four articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, with some allegations dating to 2009, the military said.

The charges came amid increased concern about the handling of sexual misconduct in the military and the lack of confidence, particularly among women serving, that justice is being done. A Pentagon report estimated up to 26,000 service members may have been sexually assaulted in 2012.

On Thursday, the Senate agreed with the Pentagon to leave the authority to prosecute charges of rape and other serious crimes with military commanders.

The 55-45 vote to relieve commanders of that authority was short of the 60 needed to move ahead on the legislation.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.