J. Scott Applewhite/AP
Former Pentagon official Ashton Carter is President Obama’s top candidate to become the next defense secretary, according to administration officials. Here are nine things to know about Carter.
• Carter served as deputy defense secretary from 2011 - 2013 under Secretaries Leon Panetta and Chuck Hagel.
• Prior to his elevation to deputy, he served for about three years as under secretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, where he was in charge of technology and weapons-buying.
• Under President Clinton, Carter served as assistant secretary of defense for international security policy, where he helped secure nuclear weapons in Eastern Europe following the collapse of the Soviet Union and played a role in the oversight of the US nuclear arsenal.
• Carter has a long list of academic credentials, having earned his bachelors in physics and medieval history from Yale and doctorate in theoretical physics from Oxford University, where he was also a Rhodes Scholar.
• Carter is a longtime lecturer at Harvard University and former head of the Belfer Center for Science and International Security at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. He was also a former research fellow at MIT, where he wrote a paper finding the Reagan administration’s “Star Wars” initiative “not technically feasible.”
• An aide once described him as the “600-pound brain in the room.”
• He has been awarded the Department of Defense Distinguished Service Medal at least four times and has also been awarded the Defense Intelligence Medal.
• Carter is the co-editor or co-author of eleven books.
• He is married with two grown children, and is a native of Philadelphia.
A Newton woman posted a photo of a coyote she spotted to warn her neighbors about the dangers of the wild animals.Continue reading »
David Cassidy was in “The Partridge Family” in the early 70s and became a superstar, selling millions of records as the musical group’s lead singer.Continue reading »
In this week’s film study, we examine how New England improved since the bye and how the team fared against the Raiders.Continue reading »
The actress and former talk show host met Elizabeth Rooney while in town shooting the Showtime series “SMILF.”Continue reading »
The case against the 22-year-old granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy will be dismissed if she successfully completes the program.Continue reading »
Jack E. Robinson III was known for persistent and often colorful quests for major elective offices that frequently created distress for Massachusetts Republicans.Continue reading »
The Celtics’ season started with disaster, a devastating injury to Gordon Hayward. But the team has found an unexpected spark as it has won 16 straight, and green fever is building.Continue reading »
It took exactly 22 minutes for Patriots Twitter world to seize the opportunity.Continue reading »
Irving’s performance through his first 17 games with the Celtics is a satisfying reminder of what an A-list NBA superstar looks like.Continue reading »