fb-pixelUpdates: Baltimore sees another day of protests - The Boston Globe Skip to main content

Updates: Baltimore sees another day of protests

Protesters marched in Baltimore on Wednesday.Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP/Getty Images

11 p.m.

Protesters have returned to Ferguson a day after looting, fires and gunfire broke out during demonstrations over the death of a black man who died of spinal injuries after his arrest by Baltimore police.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports several dozen people marched down West Florissant Avenue in the St. Louis suburb Wednesday night protesting the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray.

That same area was the site of numerous protests after the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was black and unarmed, by a white Ferguson police officer in August.

A Ferguson Police Department spokesman says three people were shot during protests Tuesday night and four police cars were damaged by rocks and chunks of asphalt thrown by demonstrators.



Several hundred people gathered in New York to protest the death of Freddie Gray, a Baltimore man who was critically injured in police custody, and at least 60 people were arrested.

Protesters Wednesday first rallied in Manhattan’s Union Square, where they chanted ‘‘no justice, no peace’’ and ‘‘hands up, don’t shoot,’’ a reference to the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, last year. Police officers stood and watched.

A police helicopter hovered overhead, and a police loudspeaker warned the protesters that they would be arrested if they marched in the street.

A group of protesters spilled into the street and disrupted traffic. Dozens of police officers moved in with plastic handcuffs and began making arrests while officers with batons pushed the crowd back onto the sidewalk.

10:45 p.m.

Civic leaders declared victory when the intersection at North and Pennsylvania avenues had been cleared of all but a few stragglers 15 minutes after the beginning of Baltimore’s curfew.

As of 10:30 Wednesday night, police had taken no action against the very few who remained out.

Hundreds of police officers in riot gear remained at the scene, which was the site of rioting Monday, with nothing to do.


‘‘We are very proud of what has happened here tonight. We are proud of our city,’’ Rep. Elijah Cummings said after everyone had gone home. He promised that the investigation into Freddie Gray’s death in police custody will remain a top priority.

State Sen. Catherine Pugh noted that members of the community took the lead in clearing the streets, allowing police officers to hang back.

‘‘I think we showed the nation that Baltimore can protect the peace,’’ Pugh said.

She also urged the community to be patient with the Gray investigation. Police are scheduled to provide a report Friday to the state’s attorney. But Pugh said that office will need time to review the evidence.

‘‘We have to give her time and her office time to wade through those papers,’’ Pugh said.

10:10 p.m.

A few minutes after the city-wide curfew, only a couple dozen people are left at the scene of Monday’s rioting in Baltimore.

Police are clearing the streets for the 10 p.m. curfew Wednesday. A police helicopter is broadcasting a warning to stragglers: ‘‘You must go home. You will be subject to an arrest.’’

During the day, residents continued to protest the death of Freddie Gray, who died after injuries he suffered in police custody.

9:45 p.m.

Shortly before 10 p.m., Baltimore police in riot gear began to shut down North Avenue by lining up in the intersection.


Traffic had been flowing freely at the corner of North and Pennsylvania avenues, the site of Monday night’s looting as people rioted over the police-custody death of Freddie Gray. On Tuesday night, the intersection had been closed to traffic, blocked by a line of police in riot gear.

As he did Tuesday night, Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., who represents the area, was on the scene asking more than 100 protesters to go home ahead of a 10 p.m. curfew.

‘‘I'm hoping that people will listen,’’ Cummings said. ‘‘This is my neighborhood. I know a lot of these people.’’

Community members forcefully urged others to go home I had of the curfew, and a few fights broke out within the crowd. But they were quickly broken up.

8:15 p.m.

Baltimore’s police commissioner says the department is ‘‘not giving up’’ on dozens of people who've been released from custody after Monday’s riots.

The people released Wednesday afternoon were arrested but not charged. Commissioner Anthony Batts said Wednesday evening that the department will conduct follow-up investigations and charge people appropriately. The department was required by law to release people from custody if they were not charged within 48 hours.

Capt. Eric Kowalczyk (koh-WAHL'-chek), a police spokesman, says the number of people released Wednesday was ‘‘in the 80s,’’ but the Maryland Public Defender’s Office, which worked on behalf of the detainees, said 101 people were let go.

Batts says 16 more adults and two juveniles were arrested during peaceful protests Wednesday. That brings the total number of arrests since Monday’s riots to more than 250.


Protesters have been demanding answers after the death of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black man, in police custody.

7:45 p.m.

More than a thousand protesters have made their way back from City Hall to Penn Station two hours after their peaceful march and rally began.

As the group walked back to the train station through residential neighborhoods Thursday evening, people sitting on stoops were recording the march, waving to those walking and indicating their support for the demonstrators’ message of justice for Freddie Gray, who was critically injured in police custody.

Law student Djaz Baluch Jr. was watching from his row house and said he supports the marchers ‘‘a hundred percent.’’

‘‘This inconvenience is minor compared to the inconvenience people in impoverished communities face every day due to police brutality,’’ he said.

Once back at the station, protest organizers urged protesters to go home and fight another day.

7 p.m.

Several hundred people have gathered at Union Square in Manhattan to protest the death of Freddie Gray, a Baltimore man who was critically injured in police custody.

The protesters chanted ‘‘no justice, no peace’’ and ‘‘hands up, don’t shoot’’ Wednesday night as dozens of New York police officers watched.

A police helicopter hovered overhead and a police loudspeaker warned the protesters that they would be arrested if they marched in the street.

One of the protesters said, ‘‘The police have become out of control.’’

5:50 p.m.

A group of protesters stretching more than a block has left Penn Station in Baltimore for a march to City Hall to protest Freddie Gray’s death after being hurt while in police custody.


People are chanting, ‘‘Tell the truth. Stop the lies. Freddie Gray didn’t have to die.’’

Jacob Kinder, a junior at Goucher University in nearby Towson, Maryland, said Gray’s death and the subsequent protests and riots have been a big topic all week on campus.

‘‘I think there’s a pretty big fault line between students who think that the protests are justified and the riots are justified and people who don’t see race as a problem,’’ Kinder said.

Kinder is white, as were many in the group just before 6 p.m. The marchers included a large number of college students.

5:30 p.m.

Dozens of people are marching in protest of the death of Freddie Gray, who was critically injured in police custody.

Many of the protesters wore black T-shirts that said: ‘‘Black Lives Matter’’ — which has become the slogan of a movement against police brutality.

The demonstration comes as the city tries to get back to normal after riots Monday night. A curfew was put in place Tuesday and it will continue for the rest of the week.

5:10 p.m.

Baltimore firefighters don’t feel safe doing their jobs because people are throwing rocks and other things at them.

Baltimore City Firefighters’ Union President Rick Hoffman said Wednesday that firefighters must go into defensive mode and wait for police to arrive before tackling blazes.

This delays fighting fires, and Hoffman says a few minutes can mean the difference between life and death.

Cars and business were set on fire Monday night as people rioted over the police-custody death of Freddie Gray.

At Mondawmin Mall, which served as a launching pad for Monday’s rioting, things were about as normal as could be expected.

Uniformed students simply boarded buses and went home Wednesday afternoon.

Police in riot gear guarded the closed mall when kids started to arrive. But they sat down and took a rest in the shade after about a half hour when it was apparent they weren’t needed.

Instead, members of the community, including rival gangs of Crips, Bloods and Black Guerrillas kept an eye on things to make sure nothing got started.

‘‘We got the right people out here today,’’ said Kinji Smith of West Baltimore. ‘‘The people they try to vilify are the ones making things calm.’’

People in Baltimore are angry over the death of Freddie Gray, who was critically injured in police custody.

4:15 p.m.

Attorneys representing people arrested during this week’s violence and looting are frustrated that suspects are being assigned bail they believe is exorbitant.

Many of those charged can’t pay it, and may spend months in jail awaiting trial.

In several cases Wednesday, Assistant Senior State’s Attorney David Chu asked that bail be revoked.

Among the first cases was 28-year-old Gerard Anderson, who faced charges of malicious destruction and felony burglary.

Linda Ramirez, an attorney working pro bono, argued Anderson was going to a grocery store to get food, not to loot. Ramirez said her client wasn’t identified as a person who damaged the store’s windows. She wanted his bail set at $25,000.

The judge wasn’t swayed and set bail at $100,000, with the first $500 in cash.

Asked if he had anything to say, Anderson replied, ‘‘I'm good.’’

3:15 p.m.

A White House spokesman is reflecting on the video of Toya Graham, saying the Baltimore mother who chased her son away from a riot with police represented ‘‘a powerful expression about the role that parents can play.’’

‘‘The thing that resonated with me is — was her expression that she was concerned about her son facing the same fate as Freddie Gray,’’ spokesman Josh Earnest said. ‘‘And while I'm sure that it was not the immediate reaction of her son to feel like she was looking out for his best interest, there is no doubting that her reaction was one that was rooted in her concern for his safety and his well-being and her love for her child.’’

A clip of Graham smacking her son around has become very popular on television broadcasts and social media.

The riots started after the police-custody death of Freddie Gray.

2:40 p.m.

Police say they arrested 35 people, including one juvenile, after the city imposed a curfew.

Capt. Eric Kowalczyk (koh-WAHL'-chek) says more than 100 people are still waiting in jail to be charged in the riots Monday night. He says police have a 48-window to charge them or else they will go free. About 100 people who were also arrested have been charged.

He says the backlog has occurred because officers have to fill out documents and do other work to file the charges. He says if people are released, they may face charges later after officers review video and social media.

The unrest occurred on the day of Freddie Gray’s funeral. He suffered critical injuries while in police custody.

2:15 p.m.

In what promises to be one of the oddest spectacles in major-league history, the Baltimore Orioles are playing the Chicago White Sox in a stadium with no fans.

Media is buzzing over Wednesday’s deserted game. The press box is full, but the grandstands are vacant. TV camera crews line the field and are stationed outside the ballpark.

Officials closed the game to the public because of safety concerns after riots broke out this week, sparked by the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray. He suffered spinal injuries in police custody.

Before the first pitch, the public address announcer at Camden Yards announced the playing of the national anthem, informing ‘‘ladies and gentlemen’’ what was to follow. A recorded version of the song played.

The game then began, with the usually teeming concourse barren and concession stands locked up.

1:40 p.m.

The Baltimore mayor is defending her response to the unrest, saying when the protests turned violent, she knew the city needed help from the National Guard.

Asked about Gov. Larry Hogan saying he didn’t get calls back from her as the riots unfolded Monday afternoon, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said state officials were part of the operation the entire time.

‘‘When he has people right there in the (emergency operations) center with us, the notion that he didn’t get a call back from me directly and that was of concern, that’s absurd when you have people in the room,’’ she said Wednesday as schools reopened and tensions eased in the city.

Rawlings-Blake is a Democrat who took office in 2010. Hogan is a Republican who was sworn in earlier this year.

People in the city have been demonstrating since the arrest of Freddie Gray, who died after suffering spinal injuries in police custody.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch is decrying the rioting in Baltimore, calling it ‘‘senseless acts of violence’’ that were counterproductive.

In remarks at the Justice Department, she said while the city is in some ways a symbol of the issues the nation has been talking about when it comes to police use of force against black men, it is more than that. It is a city that police are trying to protect, and that peaceful protesters are trying to improve, she said, while ‘‘struggling to balance great expectations and need with limited resources.’’

Lynch, the former federal prosecutor for portions of New York City, was sworn in Monday to replace Eric Holder, becoming the first African-American woman to serve as the nation’s top law enforcement official.

People in Baltimore have been angry over the death of Freddie Gray, a black man who suffered critical injuries in police custody.

1 p.m.

A few dozen protesters have gathered outside the office of Baltimore’s top prosecutor to demand swift justice in the case of a black man who died in police custody.

Organizers say they are rallying in support of State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby, who took office in January and pledged during her campaign to address aggressive police practices.

Police have said they will turn over their report on the death of Freddie Gray to Mosby’s office on Friday. She will then face a decision on whether and how to pursue charges against the police officers who arrested Gray. Six officers have been suspended during the investigation.

Gray’s death from a spinal injury while in custody has led to protests, rioting and looting.

The protesters chanted ‘‘No justice, no peace!’’ and ‘‘This is what democracy looks like!’’ They say the city needs to return to peaceful protests.

12:40 p.m.

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra has played a free outside concert in the city as tensions appear to be easing after the riots.

The symphony played around lunchtime and dozens of people gathered and sang the national anthem as the orchestra played along. The concert is part of the city’s efforts to return to some sort of normalcy after rioters looted stores and burned businesses on Monday night.

A weeklong nighttime curfew started on Tuesday and there were very few problems. Protesters have taken to the streets because they are upset over the police-custody death of Freddie Gray.

11:15 a.m.

After the curfew was lifted in Baltimore, rush-hour traffic began flowing through downtown, including at an intersection where demonstrators and police had faced off Tuesday night.

There were about 15 officers in riot gear protecting a check cashing business that was trashed.

Elsewhere, schools were reopened and tensions seemed to ease, but the Baltimore Orioles are going to host a baseball game in the afternoon with no fans because of the unrest in the city.

People in Baltimore have been angry over the police-custody death of Freddie Gray. They have marched in the streets for more than a week and riots unfolded Monday, the day of Gray’s funeral.

9:30 a.m.

Justice Department officials say they have met with the family of Freddie Gray, who died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody, and with an injured police officer who remains hospitalized.

The department says the meetings happened Tuesday.

Justice officials also say representatives from a specialized office that mediates conflict between police departments and communities are also in Baltimore and met with residents who shared concerns about a lack of trust in law enforcement.

Separately, the department says the results of a federal review of the Baltimore Police Department’s use of force practices are expected to be announced in coming weeks. The department also has begun a civil rights investigation into Gray’s death.

9 a.m.

Looting, fires and gunfire broke out overnight in Ferguson during protests in response to the death of a black man in police custody in Baltimore.

Several dozen people gathered Tuesday night on West Florissant Avenue, the site of several protests last summer and fall following the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was black and unarmed, by a white Ferguson police officer.

The protests were more subdued Tuesday evening in Baltimore, where a curfew was imposed. Rioting shook the city Monday following the funeral for Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody.

In Ferguson, there were reports of two people being shot late Tuesday and early Wednesday, though it wasn’t immediately clear if the shootings were linked to the protests.

A gas station was looted. Trash cans and a portable toilet were set on fire. People threw rocks at police cars.

There were no reports of officers being injured.

8:30 a.m.

A mother who was recorded hitting her 16-year-old son after she saw him throwing objects at Baltimore police says that she just wanted him to be safe and that his actions were unacceptable.

The video of Toya Graham, a Baltimore mother of six, was taken Monday as riots broke out in the city. The clip has become popular through social media. On Wednesday, she appeared on ‘‘CBS This Morning.’’

Graham says her son told her Sunday night that a group would be meeting at a mall Monday afternoon. She headed there when she heard that schools were closing early.

At the mall, she saw police and helicopters. She stood on the same side of the street as police with shields as teens threw bricks at the officers.

‘‘I was like in awe. It was like, ‘oh my God’ ... to see my son come across the street with a rock in his hand. I think at that point I just lost it,’’ she said.

She says that if her son had wanted to stay home to go to Freddie Gray’s funeral, she would have allowed that. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody. The riots erupted hours after the service.

7:40 a.m.

President Barack Obama says the Baltimore riots show that police departments need to build more trust in black communities.

In an interview broadcast Wednesday on ‘‘The Steve Harvey Morning Show,’’ Obama says his heart goes out to the Baltimore officers who were injured by rioters. He says there’s no excuse for that kind of violence and that Baltimore police showed ‘‘appropriate restraint.’’

But he is calling on police departments ‘‘to hold accountable people when they do something wrong.’’ He says Attorney General Loretta Lynch is reaching out to mayors to let them know what resources are available for retraining police and providing body cameras to hold them accountable.

And Obama says problems will continue if the response is only to retrain police without dealing with underlying social issues such as poor education, drugs and limited job opportunities. He says tackling those problems will require a broader movement.

6:30 a.m.

A citywide curfew in Baltimore ended at 5 a.m. and the morning rush is getting underway with traffic flowing on most streets downtown. There are still a few road and lane closures around police headquarters and around Pennsylvania and North avenues, where demonstrators have been congregating and a hotspot for rioting Monday night.

Local television showed a large police presence at that intersection and the CVS pharmacy in that neighborhood that burned in Monday’s riots being boarded up on Wednesday morning.

Also, schools are set to reopen Wednesday morning after they were closed in the wake of Monday’s riots. In a letter to the city school community on Tuesday, schools CEO Gregory Thornton thanked the students who avoided violence and law-breaking on Monday. But he also condemned students who participated in the riots, saying they will be held accountable.

12:40 a.m.

For the people arrested in Baltimore under the state of emergency, there could be a longer wait than usual to see a District Court official.

Normally, state law requires that people arrested without warrants appear before a court official within 24 hours of their arrests.

But as part of the state of emergency declared Monday by Republican Gov. Larry Hogan following unrest in the city, the governor extended the period to no later than 47 hours. That’s according to a letter he sent Tuesday to Judge Barbara Baer Waxman, the administrative judge for the Baltimore District Court.

‘‘This exercise of my authority is necessary to protect the public safety and to address the more than 200 arrests that were made by Baltimore Police Department and other law enforcement officials,’’ Hogan wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press.

12:12 a.m.

At midnight Tuesday, Baltimore police arrested one man wearing a Wu-Tang Clan T-shirt for violating the 10 p.m. curfew near the scene of Tuesday night’s demonstration.

Police placed him in plastic handcuffs and arrested him without incident.

The man, who declined to give his name, said while he was being arrested that he was out at that hour because he had car problems. He said no animosity toward the officers.

‘‘They’re doing their job,’’ he said.

Officers placed him in a prisoner transport van and told him they were taking him about 2 miles to Central Booking.

1 a.m.

11:40 p.m. Tuesday

Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts says a citywide curfew seems to be working.

Batts told a news conference shortly before midnight Tuesday that only 10 people had been arrested following the 10 p.m. curfew, including seven for violating the curfew. He said two people were arrested for looting and one for disorderly conduct.

Batts said he was pleased with the efforts of dozens of community organizers, clergy and neighborhood activists who urged residents to remain calm.

‘‘The curfew is, in fact, working,’’ Batts said. ‘‘Citizens are safe. The city is stable. We hope to maintain it that way.’’

Officials called for the 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew following riots that started hours after Freddie Gray’s funeral Monday. He died after being injured in police custody.

10:25 p.m.

Police used smoke and pepper spray and protesters retreated.

10:10 p.m.

As the curfew took effect, hundreds of people remained on the streets, television footage showed, and police stood by. Some bottles were thrown at police. But police were arresting few people, if any.

9:30 p.m.

A Baltimore police official said police intend the curfew that is set to begin at 10 p.m.

“At 10 o’clock, the curfew will be enforced,” a police official said.

Police will use “common sense” with the curfew, but people on the streets without a valid reason will be arrested, the official said during a press conference.

8:30 p.m.

Baltimore Public Schools CEO Gregory Thornton said in a notice posted on the school system’s website that schools will be open on Wednesday. The notice also said that after-school sports and clubs will also take place.

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said schools had no choice but to close Tuesday since many teachers called and said they wouldn’t work the day after the riots.

The schools closed a day after the riots in the wake of Freddie Gray’s death. He died after injuries in police custody.

8 p.m.

At a New York fundraiser for her presidential campaign, Hillary Rodham Clinton told about 150 donors: ‘‘Baltimore is burning.’’

‘‘It is heartbreaking,’’ Clinton said. ‘‘The tragic death of another young African-American man. The injuries to police officers. The burning of peoples’ homes and small businesses. We have to restore order and security. But then we have to take a hard look as to what we need to do to reform our system.’’

Clinton said she planned to address the unrest in Baltimore in more detail on Wednesday during a speech at Columbia University.

People and across the country are angry over the police-custody death of Freddie Gray.

7 p.m.

A mother who was recorded hitting her 16-year-old son after she saw him throwing objects at Baltimore police says when they made eye contact, he knew he was in trouble.

‘‘I'm a no-tolerant mother. Everybody that knows me, know I don’t play that,’’ Toya Graham, a single mother of six, told CBS News. ‘‘He said, when ‘I seen you,’ he said, ‘ma, my instinct was to run.'’’

Graham received wide praise from people on social media and even the Baltimore police commissioner, who said more parents should have taken charge of their children after the riots started.

The riots began hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray, who died following injuries he suffered in police custody.

6:54 p.m.

The Globe’s Jan Ransom is in Baltimore, where she’s providing updates:

Michelle Faulkner-Forson had to see it all for herself.

Protests erupted in Baltimore followed by riots after a funeral held for Freddie Gray, the latest face of police brutality. Stores were broken into and burned including a Chinese takeout on the corner of Sanford Place and Pennsylvania Avenue.

“I feel obligated to come out here,” said Faulkner-Forson, who brought her 11-month-old son Nigel Forson with her. “It’s painful seeing everything go down. I never thought I would see a riot in my lifetime. It’s the stuff you read about.”

Faulkner-Forson snapped a picture of the Chinese eatery’s broken window.

“They’re hurt,” she said of the people who destroyed the storefront and burned down a nearby CVS. “It’s only so long you can be pushed.” — Jan Ransom

6:29 p.m.

Ola Ojewumi didn’t think twice about heading into West Baltimore to help clean up a burned down CVS on Pennsylvania Avenue Tuesday afternoon.

The carpet that covered the local convenience store blended into the charred puddles of water on the floor. The pharmacy most people in the neighborhood frequented was gone. Wires hung from the ceiling.

Ojewumi, who is wheelchair bound rolled throughout the front of the store collecting burned debris and placing it into a bag her friend held.

“This hits home for me,” said Ojewumi. “This is a community demanding change.” — Jan Ransom

6:20 p.m.

Maryland’s governor says there will be 2,000 National Guard troops and more than 1,000 police officers on the streets to enforce a 10 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew.

Gov. Larry Hogan said the combined force ‘‘will not tolerate violence or looting.’’ He says maintaining law and order and protecting lives and property is the No. 1 priority.

The National Guard was called in after the riots in Baltimore. The unrest happened on the same day as the funeral for Freddie Gray, who died of injuries he suffered in police custody.

5:55 p.m.

Baltimore’s police commissioner is warning residents of a looming curfew and says people should not be out after 10 p.m. unless they are going to work or have a medical emergency.

Commissioner Anthony Batts also answered critics about why his agency didn’t respond faster or ask the National Guard sooner for help. He said he didn’t want a show of force because the demonstration started out with teenagers who are old enough to know better, but ‘‘they’re still kids.’’

The riot started hours after Freddie Gray’s funeral. He died after being injured in police custody.

5:30 p.m.

Aside from a couple of arrests, Baltimore was calm Tuesday, Batts said in an afternoon briefing.

Batts also addressed questions about the level of police response to the riots Monday afternoon.

“There were 14, 15, 16-year-old kids,” participating in the riots, Batts said, explaining why police didn’t move faster to quell the situation.

“They’re old enough to know better,” he said. “But they’re still kids.”

5:29 p.m.

4:45 p.m.

Librarian Melanie Diggs protected her customers and staff from violent looters the way a good librarian should — quietly.

Diggs, branch manager of the Enoch Pratt Free Library’s Pennsylvania Avenue branch, said Tuesday that as hundreds of rioters stormed toward the neighborhood where Freddie Gray was arrested, she had workers calmly lock the doors.

‘‘Nobody really knew,’’ Diggs said. ‘‘The customers were in here, like any day.’’

As the mob set fire to a police car, and looted and burned a CVS pharmacy across the street, Diggs directed her 20 customers and six staffers to the building’s lowest level. She had a security guard change into street clothes, fearing his uniform would be a target, and kept watch for about two hours until it seemed safe enough to send people home.

She had them slip out a side door, and then went home herself to her family.

4:15 p.m.

A spokeswoman for former Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley says he canceled an overseas trip to return to Baltimore to help the city after the riots.

O'Malley left office in January after serving two terms as governor, the maximum allowed under state law. Before that, he was mayor of Baltimore. He is considering seeking the Democratic nomination for president in 2016.

‘‘Since last night, he has been reaching out to community leaders, the mayor and members of the clergy to offer his assistance where appropriate and needed,’’ spokeswoman Lis Smith said.

The former governor lives in Baltimore. His wife is a judge in the city.

His arrival comes as the city is reeling from riots after the death of Freddie Gray, who was critically injured while in police custody.

3:40 p.m.

Police stood watch outside Security Square Mall.David Goldman/AP

Dozens of Baltimore County police and state troopers are guarding a mall that closed over security concerns.

Rumors spread on the Internet that high school kids were going to converge Tuesday on the Security Square mall in Woodlawn, several miles west of downtown. Police and news media outnumbered a dozen or so curious onlookers.

Police say the riots a day earlier started when high school students were let out of school and converged on a different mall, throwing rocks, bottles and bricks at police.

The students were upset over the way they say police treat blacks and the death of Freddie Gray, who suffered critical injuries in police custody.

3 p.m.

The mayor of Baltimore says schools had no choice but to close since many teachers called and said they wouldn’t work the day after the riots.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake also walked back her comments she made about ‘‘thugs’’ trying to tear down the city.

‘‘I wanted to say something that was on my heart ... We don’t have thugs in Baltimore. Sometimes my little anger interpreter gets the best of me,’’ she said, pointing to her head. ‘‘We have a lot of kids that are acting out, a lot of people in our community that are acting out.’’

Religious leaders say 14 churches were open Tuesday for children. The churches are providing meals to the kids, since many of them depend on school for their food.

The schools closed a day after the riots in the wake of Freddie Gray’s death. He died after injuries in police custody.

2:30 p.m.

Police say one person was critically injured in a fire during the riots in Baltimore.

Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said at least 20 officers were hurt during the chaos that started as a ‘‘high school event’’ and escalated. He said nearly three dozen juveniles were arrested and more than 200 adults were taken into custody after people set fire to cars and businesses and looted stores. Nearly 150 cars were burned.

As Kowalczyk was speaking, a group of demonstrators gathered on the streets, mostly peacefully. One person was taken into custody and police used pepper spray to keep protesters back when he became unruly.

The riots occurred Monday, hours after Freddie Gray was buried. He died from injuries he suffered in police custody.

1:30 p.m.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson has visited a burned-out drug store in Baltimore as crowds gather in the streets a night after riots.

Jackson said the violence, while inexcusable, reflected the alienation of unemployed people in neighborhoods full of empty homes and vacant lots.

‘‘It was painful because it destroyed a lot of neighborhood businesses and hurt a lot of people, but the violence is driven by that alienation,’’ Jackson said.

Dozens of people have gathered again in the street, dancing and clapping at time. A line of police officers shoulder-to-shoulder stood watch nearby.

The demonstrations have been going on since Gray was arrested in the neighborhood and died after suffering injuries in police custody.

12:55 p.m.

President Barack Obama says there have been too many troubling police interactions with black citizens.

Obama is calling the deaths of several black men by police ‘‘a slow rolling crisis.’’ He says it’s not new, but there’s new awareness from cameras and social media.

The president says there’s ‘‘no excuse’’ for violence in Baltimore. Obama says looters are not protesting but stealing. He says they should be treated as criminals.

Obama spoke Tuesday at a White House press conference with the Japanese prime minister as the National Guard was called in to quell violence. Rioting broke out Monday after the funeral for Freddie Gray, a black man who died in police custody under mysterious circumstances.

12:15 p.m.

The Maryland governor is promising that Baltimore will not have a repeat of the riots that happened on Monday.

Gov. Larry Hogan said at a news conference Tuesday that there had been no incidents in the morning, but he does worry about what will happen at night. Hogan declared a state of emergency about three hours after the riots started Monday afternoon.

He has activated the National Guard, which is helping police keep the peace in the city.

The riots came after the death of Freddie Gray. He died after he was injured in police custody.

12 p.m.

Hundreds of volunteers are cleaning up the wreckage left by rioters in the neighborhood where Freddie Gray was arrested.

Part of the area was blocked off by officers to help with debris removal. Area hardware stores donated trash bags and brooms, and city workers brought in trucks to haul away mounds of trash and broken glass.

Volunteers cleaned up trash and shattered glass in front of a looted business at the intersection of North Avenue and Fulton Avenue.NOAH SCIALOM/EPA

With schools closed, Blanca Tapahuasco, 43, brought her three sons from another part of the city to help sweep outside a looted CVS pharmacy.

‘‘We’re helping the neighborhood build back up,’’ she said. ‘‘This is an encouragement to them to know the rest of the city is not just looking on and wondering what to do.’’

The riots began shortly after Freddie Gray’s funeral. Gray died after being injured in police custody.

11:40 a.m.

Police say a mall in suburban Baltimore has closed after rumors spread on social media about plans for trouble there and at other locations.

County police spokesman Cpl. John Wachter says Security Square Mall decided to close Tuesday, but it was not at the direction of police. The mall is near the Social Security Administration’s headquarters and just a few miles west of the city.

The riots started Monday at a mall near downtown Baltimore, on the same day as Freddie Gray’s funeral. Gray died after suffering injuries while in police custody.


The Baltimore Orioles postponed a second straight game against the Chicago White Sox after a night of rioting near Camden Yards.

The team says it made the decision Tuesday after consulting with Major League Baseball, and state and local officials. A makeup date was not announced.

Public schools were shut down Tuesday, and Baltimore’s mayor imposed a 10 p.m.-to-5 a.m. curfew.

Monday’s game was postponed after riots that followed the funeral of Freddie Gray, who died April 19 of spinal cord and other injuries sustained while in police custody.


11:15 a.m.

A woman who hit and pushed a boy to remove him from the riots in Baltimore is being hailed by the police commissioner and others online.

Video of the woman, presumably the boy’s mother, shows her smacking him on the head as other youths throw bricks, rocks and other objects at police near a mall Monday afternoon.

‘‘I wish I had more parents that took charge of their kids out there,’’ Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said of the video.

The woman has not been identified.

Police asked parents in a series of tweets to get their children inside after groups of youths became violent.

The riots started hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. He suffered a critical injury while in police custody.

* * *

Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.JOHN TAGGART/EPA

Standing in front of a burned-out CVS pharmacy, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake deplored the violence of the night before.

‘‘We worked so hard to get a company like CVS to invest in this neighborhood,’’ she said, describing the neighborhood as still recovering from the riots of the 1960’s. ‘‘This is the only place that so many people have to pick up their prescriptions.’’

Rawlings-Blake said that the city had prepared for the possibility of disturbances after Freddie Gray’s funeral Monday, but had been overwhelmed. Questioned about whether she should have been in the neighborhood before Tuesday morning, she responded with frustration.

‘‘You can’t see everything that I see. You don’t know all the different moving pieces,’’ she said.

Gray died after being injured while in police custody.

10:20 a.m.

The National Guard in downtown Baltimore on Tuesday.JOHN TAGGART/EPA

A spokesman says Monday’s riot is the first time the Maryland National Guard has been called up for a civil disturbance in the state since 1968, when Baltimore erupted in violence after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

Guard spokesman Lt. Charles Kohler says about 500 guardsmen are being deployed in Baltimore on Tuesday, and the force will build to about 2,000 though the day. He says that can build to 5,000, and officials also could call on Guard forces in neighboring states.

Riots broke out in the city hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody.

Guardsmen are called up about once a year for a state of emergency such as a large snow storm or hurricane. That usually involves about 600 members — though about 2,000 were called up for President Barack Obama’s inauguration.

In 1968, the state called up 6,000 Guardsmen, and 2,000 federal troops were called in to help too.

9 a.m.

On Tuesday morning, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan surveyed the scene at a West Baltimore intersection that hours earlier had been littered with burning cars, a smashed police vehicle, broken glass and thick plumes of smoke billowing from a looted convenience store.

Hogan shook the hands of people who had shown up early to help sweep the streets after rioting erupted in the city Monday, hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody.

He said: ‘‘We’re not going to leave the city unprotected.’’

He added that he’s called in hundreds of state troopers and potentially thousands of National Guardsmen to help secure the city after a night of riots.

Hogan said: ‘‘The city is safer than it was before, and we’re going to continue to build that presence all day.’’

8:25 a.m.

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan is temporarily moving his office from the state capital, Annapolis, to Baltimore on Tuesday after rioting and fires broke out in the city.

Hogan spokeswoman Erin Montgomery says the governor will visit sites around the city Tuesday morning and plans to work out of state offices in downtown Baltimore with Cabinet members and senior staffers.

Rioting erupted in the city Monday, hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody.

8 a.m.

The Maryland Transit Administration says it’s bypassing several subway stations and closing at least one bus station because of police activity in areas of Baltimore.

Rioting erupted around the city Monday, hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody. National Guard troops took up positions in the city, and cleanup was beginning early Tuesday morning.

The transit agency announced its changes in service Tuesday morning. Public schools in the city are closed for the day, and several neighboring districts said they would cancel any scheduled field trips to Baltimore.

A citywide curfew will be in effect from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.

7:35 a.m.

The Baltimore mayor’s office says there were 144 vehicle fires, 15 structure fires and nearly 200 arrests in the unrest that broke out in the city.

Spokesman Howard Libit gave the updated numbers Tuesday morning. Rioting erupted around the city Monday, hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury days after being taken into police custody.

Early Tuesday morning, aerial footage of Baltimore showed a firefighter spraying the burnt out shell of a large building as an American flag fluttered nearby on an untouched building.

TUESDAY -- 6:00 a.m.

Local television footage showed firefighters on the scene of one many fires that broke out overnight and residents sweeping up debris on city streets as dawn broke Tuesday in Baltimore.

Transport vehicles of Maryland National Guard troops arrived a day after a funeral for Freddie Gray, who died of a mysterious spinal injury while he was in police custody. In the hours after the service attended by thousands, rioting and looting broke out in the city and firefighters battled blazes overnight thought to be linked to the riots.

National Guard spokesman Col. Charles Kohler says guard members are hooking up with police and providing additional security at critical infrastructure. Kohler declined say how many were arriving Tuesday, but says the guard can build to a force of 5,000.

11:58 p.m.

Fredericka Gray, the twin sister of Freddie Gray, who suffered a fatal injury while in police custody, has deplored the violence.

‘‘I think the violence is wrong ... I don’t like it all,’’ she said late Monday, adding she thought her brother also would have disapproved.

The fires and riots erupted hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray, the black man who died of a mysterious spinal injury after being taken into police custody earlier this month.

11:40 p.m.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts wrapped up a news conference in which he said National Guard troops are now taking up positions in the city. He says they will be of use holding areas that have been cleared of rioters as police go through the affected areas of the city.

Batts also says at least 15 officers have been injured, six seriously whom he visited at the city’s major trauma hospital. ‘‘I told them how proud I was of them and how courageous they were,’’ Batt says.

He added that there have been a number of car fires and other fires in the streets and that law enforcement officers are still working to gain control over the situation.

11:17 p.m.

Donte Hickman, pastor of a Baptist church that has been helping to develop the Mary Harvin Senior Housing and Transformational Center shed tears over the fire that engulfed that building Monday evening.

He cried as he led a group prayer in front of the fire trucks as the firefighters fought the fire. ‘‘My heart is broken because somebody obviously didn’t understand that we were for the community, somebody didn’t understand that we were working on behalf of the community to invest when nobody else would,’’ he says.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said through a spokesman that officials are investigating whether there is a connection between the fire and the riots.

11:05 p.m.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake has gone out to some of the damaged areas, lamenting the violence.

‘‘It’s extremely heartbreaking for someone born and raised in Baltimore. We know how hard people work to be able to have a city we know and love and watch a group of criminals go through our city with an intent to destroy. You don’t get justice for that. What does it solve?’’

10:50 p.m.

Deputy Chief Fire Marshall Shawn Belton says some 80 firefighters were called to fight the huge fire that engulfed the unoccupied building under construction in east Baltimore.

He says embers from that fire caused damage to two other nearby buildings. Police reported some car fires in the city, and news footage showed at least one car gutted by flames. TV footage also showed a liquor store with flames inside and local reports showed police in riot gear lined up on a street confronting scattered groups.

A fire official, Deputy Chief Shift Commander Karl Zimmerman, says firefighters are taking precautions to stay safe during the night.

‘‘What we’re doing is, when we can have a police escort, get into an area that’s unsecured and go with the police,’’ he added.

10:21 p.m.

Maryland’s Attorney General Brian E. Frosh has called for an end to the violence. In a statement, he says, ‘‘The death of Freddie Gray was a tragedy. Perhaps it can lead us on a path toward progress. Violence, fires and looting will not get us there.’’

He added: ‘‘The line from peaceful protest to looting and violence has, sadly, been crossed. The events in Baltimore are putting first responders and many in our community at risk. Destroying property and injuring citizens and law enforcement officers drives us apart ... The violence must stop.’’

10:06 p.m.

Firefighters are spraying water on neighboring commercial and residential buildings around what’s left of the Mary Harvin Transformation Center that was engulfed by flames earlier in the evening.

Their aim: to prevent any flames from spreading, given the number of abandoned rowhouses nearby.

All that’s left of the brick building that was engulfed by flames appears to be the smoky debris of a structure a few stories tall. Some flames are still visible and heavy smoke is dying down.

9:30 p.m.

A massive fire has broken out in a building that was under construction and the Baltimore mayor’s spokesman says it’s related to the riots.

Spokesman Kevin Harris confirmed that the fire is burning at the Mary Harvin Transformation Center, described online as a community-based organization that supports youth and families.

A CVS pharmacy was also set on fire earlier in the day. At least several other businesses were looted.

Video: A CVS pharmacy was set ablaze

9:20 p.m.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch is condemning the rioting in Baltimore that followed the funeral of Freddie Gray, who died from a spinal injury he suffered while in police custody.

In a statement Monday, her first day on the job, Lynch said those who have destroyed property have done a disservice to Gray’s family.

She said she would send Justice Department officials to the city in coming days, including Vanita Gupta, the agency’s top civil rights lawyer.

Rioters set police cars ablaze, leading the Maryland governor to declare a state of emergency and call in the National Guard.

The FBI and Justice Department are investigating Gray’s death for potential criminal civil rights violations. The six officers who were involved in Gray’s arrest have been suspended

8:49 p.m.

Governor Larry Hogan said he declared a state of emergency at the request of Baltimore officials.

“I have not made this decision lightly. The National Guard represents the last resort.”

He said protesters have the right to express their opinions. But Baltimore residents “deserve peace and safety in their community.”

Hogan said he declared a state of emergency within seconds of being asked to do so by Baltimore officials. He said state officials were ready for the request.

A National Guard official said martial law had not been declared. She said up to 5,000 National Guard members were available to be called up.

Hogan said outside agitors and “roving gangs” were to blame for Monday’s violence.

“The is lawless gangs of thugs roaming the streets ... we’re not going to tolerate that.”

Hogan said officials would use every available asset and whatever manpower is necessary “to get this under control.”

8:30 p.m.

About 200 mostly men are marching arm-in-arm through a neighborhood that is littered with broken glass, flattened aluminum cans and other debris after riots in Baltimore.

Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings is among them. As the group approached Fulton Avenue, getting close to a line of police officers, the marchers went down on their knees.

After the ministers got back on their feet, they walked until they were face-to-face with the police officers in a tight formation and wearing riot gear.

Neighborhood residents were standing on their stoops, taking pictures. Some clapped their hands.

The marches were protesting the police-custody death of Freddie Gray.

8:15 p.m.

Police say 15 officers have been injured in the Baltimore riots and two are still in the hospital.

More than two dozen people have been arrested after people looted stores, set cars on fire and threw bricks at police.

The riot started just hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray, who died following injuries he suffered while in police custody.

7:58 p.m.

Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, the mayor of Baltimore, said Baltimore would have a curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Tuesday and would last one week.

A police official said police are fully deployed.

A city council member said the violence reminded him of riots in 1968. He said violence is not the way to protest.

A somber Rawlings-Blake said violence “is just not acceptable.”

“It’s idiotic to think by destroying your city you’re going to make life better for anybody,” Rawlings-Blake said.

7:05 p.m.

The governor of Maryland has declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard to help with the violence and rioting in Baltimore.

Gov. Larry Hogan signed the order Monday night at the request of the city. Cars and at least one store have been set on fire during a riot. Businesses are being looted in part of the city.

The riot started just hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray, who died after being injured while in police custody.

7 p.m.

Maryland’s two senators are faulting a few in Baltimore for the violent protests, looting and clashes with police.

‘‘This is terrible,’’ Democratic Sen. Barbara Mikulski told reporters in the U.S. Capitol Monday night. The five-term senator and Baltimore resident said about 300 students primarily from one high school acted out and showed ‘‘disrespect toward Freddie Gray.’’ Mikulski said some 85,000 school children went home and were not involved.

Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin said their ‘‘immediate concern is to restore the peace in Baltimore.’’

The two lawmakers said they are awaiting the independent, civil rights investigation by the Justice Department into Gray’s death.

Gray died of an unexplained spinal injury while in police custody.

6:45 p.m.

A pharmacy that has been looted in the Baltimore riots is on fire and police are trying to keep people back as firefighters battle the blaze.

Smoke is pouring out of the CVS pharmacy, which is about 1.5 miles from downtown Baltimore. Some people cut holes in a hose that firefighters were using.

Nearby, liquor stores were busted open and being looted. People were in the streets drinking while police stood still nearby.

The riot started just hours after Freddie Gray’s funeral. Gray died after suffering injuries in police custody.

6:35 p.m.

President Barack Obama is pledging the federal government’s help to respond to riots that have broken out in Baltimore following the funeral of Freddie Gray.

The White House says the Baltimore mayor updated Obama on the situation and that Obama told her his administration would provide assistance as needed.

The White House says Obama also discussed the rioting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who was sworn in hours earlier.

Obama and Lynch met in the Oval Office while violent scenes of rioting in Baltimore played out on television. Gray died April 19 after suffering a mysterious spinal injury while in police custody. The Justice Department and local authorities are investigating.

6:30 p.m.

The governor of Maryland says the National Guard is on alert and may deploy to help police with the looting and violence in Baltimore.

Gov. Larry Hogan says he wants the Guard on alert so they can deploy rapidly as needed. The governor readied the Guard as rioters set fire to cars and a business and looters raided several stores.

At least seven officers have been injured in chaos.

6.26 p.m.

The Baltimore Orioles’ game against the Chicago White Sox at Cambed Yards has been postponed because of safety concerns.

6:05 p.m.

An attorney for the family of Freddie Gray says they are in shock watching the violence in Baltimore.

Hours after Gray’s funeral, a large group of youths had a standoff with police, throwing bricks, bottles and other items at officers. Several stores have been looted and cars have been set on fire.

Gray family attorney Billy Murphy said the family is urging for calm.

‘‘They don’t want this movement nationally to be marred by violence,’’ he said. ‘‘It makes no sense.’’

Murphy said Gray’s family is lying low Monday night. Gray died after suffering critical injuries in police custody.

5:55 p.m.

Protesters are looting a check-cashing business and other stores in Baltimore, busting through the windows and climbing inside to take items.

Cars have been lit on fire and a large group of youths threw rocks, bricks and other items at police. As people arrived home from work, some yelled at the youths to stop causing trouble.

‘‘I never thought I’d see something like this happen in my neighborhood,’’ said Ted Bushrod, 32, who’s lived in the area all his life.

Bushrod, who said his father died in an officer-involved shooting involving the Baltimore Police Department, criticized the violence.

‘‘It’s disappointing. I understand the kids’ frustration. We go through this every day,’’ he added, referring to black people being targeted for their race in Baltimore.

Freddie Gray, who is black, died after he suffered injuries while in police custody.

5:35 p.m.

Police are urging parents to locate their children and bring them home after youths clashed violently with police in Baltimore.

Baltimore police made the announcement on its Twitter feed. A group of youths threw bricks, rocks and other items at police during a violent clash hours after the funeral of Freddie Gray. At least seven police officers were injured.

A lot of the youths clashing with police had backpacks and were wearing khaki pants, which are a part of many Baltimore public school uniforms.

The activity broke out just as high school let out, and at a key city bus depot for student commuters.

Gray died April 19. He suffered injuries in police custody. Authorities are investigating.

5:15 p.m.

Groups of youths are looting a convenience store near downtown Baltimore.

They busted out the window of the closed businesses, and piled in. Police in riot gear began forming a line nearby.

A helicopter circled overhead as groups of roving youths moved through the city. Television footage showed one group of demonstrators pile on top of and ride a car as it drove in the street.

The riot happened just hours after Freddie Gray’s funeral. Gray suffered a mysterious spinal injury while in police custody.

5 p.m.

A drug store is being looted in Baltimore as police and a large group of people violently clash.

Television images show a CVS being overrun and people running out with items. Police have not responded yet.

The rioters have been throwing rocks, bricks and other items at police, injuring at least seven of them. A police car was set on fire.

The clash began just hours after the funeral of Freddie Gray, who died while in police custody.

4:45 p.m.

Police say at least seven officers have been injured in a violent clash with a large group of youths.

Capt. Eric Kowalczyk (koh-wall-check) said one officer is unresponsive and others have broken bones after people threw bricks, rocks and other items at police.

The riot occurred just hours after a funeral for Freddie Gray, who died of a mysterious spinal injury while he was in police custody.

The clash started near the Mondawmin Mall and spread out over a wide area as a line of police officers pushed them back.

In a series of Tweets, police said they are hearing reports of groups setting fires around the area. Earlier, a photographer was shoved and kicked in the back.

At one point, a police car was surrounded and destroyed by people jumping on it. As officers arrived, one person was taken into custody.

4:15 p.m.

Hundreds of youths outside a mall in northwest Baltimore are clashing violently with police in riot gear, throwing rocks, bricks and bottles at the officers.

Baltimore police say on Twitter that several officers have been injured. Officers are using pepper-spray to keep the protesters back.

A flier circulated on social media called for a period of violence Monday afternoon to begin at the Mondawmin Mall and move downtown toward City Hall.

Earlier in the day, thousands gathered for Freddie Gray’s funeral. Gray died of an unexplained spinal injury while in police custody.

Outside the mall, a young person threw a flaming trash can at the line of officers, igniting a patch of grass nearby.

Police said at least one officer was injured after being hit by a flying brick.

4 p.m.

People are throwing rocks and bricks at police in riot gear near a Baltimore mall.

Dozens of people were throwing objects at police, just hours after the funeral for Freddie Gray.

Gray died of a mysterious spinal injury while in police custody. Baltimore police say on Twitter that a few officers have been hurt in the chaos.

Officers are advancing on the crowd, and at times retreating when the objects are thrown.

3:30 p.m.

Numerous police officers in riot gear have responded to a mall in northwest Baltimore and the mall is closed.

Images broadcast by WJZ-TV show a line of officers with helmets and face shields blocking off the mall’s parking lot. Some people were throwing objects at officers and a police armored vehicle.

It’s not immediately clear if the response was related to a Freddie Gray protest. One man held his arms up as the police moved toward him, an action that has been repeated throughout the Gray rallies.

Gray died of an unexplained spinal injury he suffered in police custody.

2 p.m.

The University of Maryland campus in downtown Baltimore shut down its campus at 2 p.m., saying it has been warned by the Baltimore Police Department that ‘‘activities’’ in the area may turn violent.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether the activities had anything to do with Freddie Gray, who died of a spinal injury while in police custody. Demonstrators angry over Gray’s death have become violent at times.

In an alert to students and staff, the university says ‘‘the safety of our students and employees is of paramount importance. Please vacate the campus as soon as possible.’’

School spokesman Alex Likowski said he didn’t know what type of activity might be passing through campus or what prompted the warning from police.

The university’s main campus is in College Park, about 30 miles south of Baltimore.

1:45 p.m.

The funeral for Freddie Gray has ended after a service of nearly two hours.

The dignitaries attending included long-time activist Dick Gregory, former Maryland representative and NAACP leader Kweisi Mfume and current Maryland Rep. John Sarbanes.

The casket was rolled out of the church with the family following behind. Within minutes, the entire church was empty, leaving the musicians to play a rousing processional.

As people left, there was an image of Gray projected on the screens flanking the altar. It showed him wearing a striped polo shirt, baseball cap, pants and sneakers. The front of the program read, ‘‘Loving Memory, Freddie Carlos Gray Jr.’’

Gray died of a mysterious spinal injury he suffered while in police custody.

The NAACP says it’s opening a satellite office in Freddie Gray’s Baltimore neighborhood, known as Sandtown.

In a statement on the organization’s Facebook page, the NAACP said its police reform action in Baltimore dates back to the 1980s, and has involved targeting racial profiling cases. The NAACP said it also filed legal action involving traffic stops targeting black people and another one involving a high rate of incarceration of black people in the city.

Gray, who is black, died of an unexplained injury he suffered in police custody.

The satellite office in Gray’s neighborhood will include legal support from the national office, the NAACP said.

It’s unclear when the office will open.

12:40 p.m.

Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings is speaking at the funeral for Freddie Gray.

Cummings looked at the multitude of cameras along the rail of the balcony at New Shiloh Baptist Church and said: ‘‘I ain’t seen this many cameras in a long time.’’

Gray died of a mysterious spinal injury while he was in police custody.

The congressman mentioned his own nephew, who was gunned down several years ago in Norfolk, Virginia. He said an assailant has never been tracked down and arrested.

‘‘We will not rest until we address this and see that justice is done,’’ he said of the Gray case. ‘‘And so, this is our watch. We will not fail you.’’

12:30 p.m.

The Rev. Al Sharpton says he plans to meet with activists and faith leaders in Baltimore to schedule a two-day march from Baltimore to Washington in May.

He says the march will aim to bring the cases of Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, Walter Scott and Eric Harris to the attention of new Attorney General Loretta Lynch.

In a statement Monday before Gray’s funeral, Sharpton says he had been resisting getting personally involved because he wanted to wait until he saw what the police department’s investigation found. But now he says since the department’s report may not be released publicly, he has decided to travel to Baltimore.

Police have said the department would release its report to the State’s Attorney’s office on Friday and send out updates when new information is available.

Gray died of an unexplained spinal injury while in police custody.

12:20 p.m.

The attorney for Freddie Gray’s family has received a standing ovation during Gray’s funeral.

Billy Murphy called on the six officers suspended during the investigation into Gray’s death to come forward and tell the story ‘‘just like we tell our citizens to do.’’

‘‘This is our moment to get at truth. This is our moment to get it right,’’ he said.

Gray died of an unexplained spinal injury he suffered while in police custody. Five of the six officers have given their statements to investigators.

Murphy asked for prayers for Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, ‘‘who is struggling mightily with this,’’ a statement that brought more applause.

12:10 p.m.

Baltimore police say the department believes three notoriously violent gangs are now working together to ‘‘take out’’ law enforcement officers.

In a statement Monday, the department called it a ‘‘credible threat’’ and said members of the Black Guerilla Family, the Bloods and the Crips have formed a partnership against the police.

The department warned other law enforcement agencies to ‘‘take appropriate precautions.’’

The police statement came as mourners gathered for the funeral of Freddie Gray, who died of a mysterious spinal injury while in police custody.

Police spokesman Capt. Eric Kowalczyk would not say whether the threat is related to the death of Gray. Kowalczyk said the threat announcement has been circulated to law enforcement agencies nationwide.

Earlier this year, Baltimore police said the Black Guerilla Family sent a man into the Northeastern District station house with marijuana, cocaine and a loaded gun to test the station’s security.

12 p.m.

The daughter of Eric Garner, who died of a chokehold in the custody of New York City police, is at the funeral of Freddie Gray.

Gray suffered critical spinal injuries while he was in Baltimore police custody.

Erica Garner, 24, says she came Monday because watching the video of Gray crying out when he was arrested reminded her of the crying and agony that her father went through.

‘‘My father was yelling out, ‘I can’t breathe and (Gray) was yelling out — he didn’t have any words but he was just hurt,’’ she said.

She says she hasn’t met Gray’s family, but would tell them: ‘‘I feel your pain. I know what you’re going through. Stay strong and continue to fight.’’

Garner died last July after police placed him in a chokehold on a Staten Island street.

11:45 a.m.

The funeral for Freddie Gray has started with songs and prayer.

Gray died after suffering a critical spinal injury while he was in police custody. His death has prompted marches and rallies for the more than a week.

The church, which has a capacity of 2,500, is full of mourners.

Just before the start of the service, members of the Gray family gathered in front of the casket for a second time. Gloria Darden, Gray’s mother, sat down, and someone handed her a box of tissues.

The casket is closed and a wreath of white roses is on top of it.

10:50 a.m.

A U.S. diplomat opened her speech on Iranian nuclear negotiations talking about how she grew up going to civil rights marches and says her father once helped baseball star Frank Robinson find a home in an all-white neighborhood of Baltimore.

The recent case of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died after sustaining serious injuries while in the custody of Baltimore police, has intensified a national debate over police treatment of African-Americans.

Under Secretary of State Wendy Sherman spoke Monday at the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism conference on equality and civil rights in Washington.

She says that years ago, her father went house to house to convince homeowners in Baltimore not to flee, saying that Robinson shared their desire for good schools and a safe neighborhood.