WASHINGTON — President Trump says he has decided to release a final batch of thousands of classified government documents related to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
“Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as president, the long blocked and classified JFK files to be opened,” Trump wrote on Twitter Saturday.
The release of the information being held in secret at the National Archives was mandated to occur by Oct. 26 under a 1992 law that sought to quell conspiracy theories about the assassination.
The material is expected to include about 3,000 documents that have never been seen by the public, and more than 30,000 that have been previously released with redactions, the Associated Press reported.
Trump has the power to block the release of the documents, and intelligence agencies have pressured him to do so for at least some of them. The agencies are concerned that information contained in some of the documents could damage national security interests.
The president did not make clear what he meant when he said in his tweet that the release of the documents would be “subject to the receipt of further information.” A White House official did not immediately respond to e-mails seeking clarification.
It is not known what revelations might be in the unreleased documents, though researchers and authors of books about Kennedy say they do not expect any bombshells that alter the official narrative of the assassination — that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in Dallas — delivered in 1964 by the Warren Commission.
With the deadline to release the remaining documents fast approaching, Trump had been under increasing pressure from advocates of transparency not to hold back any of the documents from the public on the grounds of national security.
Conspiracy theorists have long clamored for what they hope will be evidence to prove that the government covered up the truth about the killing.
A police officer and a local woman were shot and killed Sunday after a 20-year-old man allegedly crashed a car, attacked the officer, stole his gun, and used it to shoot both victims. The suspect is in custody and expected to be arraigned on Monday.Continue reading »
Garrett Matthias, 5, thought about what his funeral would look like one day. He did not want a solemn gathering; he wanted a carnivallike atmosphere.Continue reading »
Michael Chesna, 42, a six-year veteran of the Weymouth police department, was shot not far from where he grew up, his father-in-law, Francis Doran, said in a phone interview.Continue reading »
A look at the Clinton blunders that continue to damage his party today — and what might have happened if George H.W. Bush had won a second term.Continue reading »
Xander Bogaerts homered again and the Sox used six pitchers to get their 12th win in 13 games.Continue reading »
As broad cost-cutting measures and staff realignments continue to batter State Police on the mainland, sleepy island barracks on Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard continue to endure.Continue reading »
Heather Astaneh was livid when a package she ordered arrived late, so she wrote a complaint on the US Postal Service website. Three years later, her case is in federal court.Continue reading »
While Smart waits for a contract, the team has to decide how to use its 15th, and final, roster spot.Continue reading »
A man killed by Chicago police had a gun in a holster at his hip and was shot multiple times as he ran away, spun around and reached toward his waist, according to footage released Sunday from an officer’s body-worn camera.Continue reading »