Man killed by Chicago police appeared to be armed, officials say

Chicago police officers scuffled with an angry crowd at the scene of a police-involved shooting Saturday. A black man, armed with what appeared to be a handgun, was shot and killed. Four people in the crowd were arrested.
Chicago police officers scuffled with an angry crowd at the scene of a police-involved shooting Saturday. A black man, armed with what appeared to be a handgun, was shot and killed. Four people in the crowd were arrested.Nuccio DiNuzzo/Chicago Tribune via Associated Press

CHICAGO — Footage from body cameras and surveillance cameras shows that a black man who was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer was armed with what appeared to be a handgun, authorities said Sunday.

Police described the video and released footage of Saturday’s shooting from officer-worn body cameras. Police previously made some video public in an effort to diffuse mounting public tension. The additional footage was released hours after a skirmish between angry residents and baton-wielding officers.

Four protesters were arrested in the clash, and some police officers suffered minor injuries from thrown rocks and bottles, some of which were filled with urine. Officers pulled people to the ground and struck them with batons. Two squad cars also were damaged.


Harith Augustus, 37, died of multiple gunshots wounds on the city’s South Side, medical examiners said. He wasn’t a known gang member and had no recent arrest history, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

A resident of the area, Gloria Rainge, told the Chicago Sun-Times that Augustus, known in the Grand Crossing neighborhood as ‘‘Snoop,’’ worked at a barbershop and had a 5-year-old daughter.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson called the shooting a tragedy and said in a statement that it’s a blessing Augustus didn’t bring the girl with him Saturday, as he’s known to do.

Police found a handgun and two magazines of bullets at the shooting site and sent them for testing, Guglielmi said.

Officers patrolling on foot tried to question the man over a ‘‘bulge around his waistband’’ that suggested he was armed, Patrol Chief Fred Waller told reporters. The man, who lived a short distance away, broke free and ran from the officers, who believed ‘‘he appeared to be reaching for a weapon’’ and shot him, Waller said.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability, which investigates officer-involved shootings, said it was analyzing the video and asking anyone who may have captured cellphone footage to share it with the agency.


It was at least the third time in the last two weeks that a Chicago police officer shot someone.

Chicago has a troubled history of police shootings. The city erupted in protest in 2015 after the release of a video from a year earlier showing a white police officer shooting a black 17-year-old, Laquan McDonald, 16 times.

The officer, Jason Van Dyke, was charged with murder. McDonald’s death led to the ouster of the police chief and a series of reforms meant to prevent future police abuses and to hold officers accountable.

Jackson referenced the case as he called for video into Augustus’s shooting to be released.

In Kansas City, Mo., on Sunday, police shot and killed a man suspected of shooting and wounding three Kansas City police officers, authorities said.

The suspect died Sunday afternoon after barricading himself in a house in the southeast part of the city. He emerged from the home and was killed in an exchange of gunfire, Police Chief Rick Smith told reporters.

All three officers are expected to live.

Police spokesman Sergeant Jacob Becchina said the first two officers were shot during an undercover operation at a motel less than 2 miles from Kauffman Stadium, where the Kansas City Royals baseball team plays. The suspect then fled in a vehicle with another person, who was arrested when officers found the vehicle.


The suspect barricaded himself inside a home about a mile from the motel. He shot the third officer in the arm during the standoff, Smith said.

The suspect was a person of interest in the fatal shooting of a University of Missouri Kansas City student during a robbery earlier this month.

‘‘We've been looking for him all week,’’ Smith said. ‘‘This is the first time we laid eyes on him.’’

Also Sunday, an autopsy determined that a 16-year-old student fatally shot by sheriff’s deputies in Minnesota died from multiple gunshot wounds.

A medical examiner released the results on Archer Amorosi, who was killed Friday morning outside a home in Chanhassen, an suburb of Minneapolis. The release contained no further information.

Carver County sheriff’s deputies were called to the home by the teen’s mother, who reported that he was suicidal and threatening her with knives and a baseball bat. Authorities say deputies used a stun gun on the teen and, at one point, two deputies fired their guns, hitting him.