In the hours since the publication of an anonymous New York Times op-ed detailing an organized effort to stem President Trump’s “worst inclinations” from within the administration, a number of high-ranking Trump officials have publicly denied being the secretive author.
Here’s a look at who has issued denials, so far:
Vice President Mike Pence
The vice president’s communications director took to Twitter early Thursday morning to echo Trump’s criticism of the op-ed as “gutless” — and deny the office of the vice president was behind it.
Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats
“Speculation that The New York Times op-ed was written by me or my Principal Deputy is patently false. We did not. From the beginning of our tenure, we have insisted that the entire [intelligence community] remain focused on our mission to provide the President and policymakers with the best intelligence possible.”
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
Pompeo made comments to reporters Thursday while traveling in India denying he was the author: “It’s not mine.”
Pompeo said he would resign if he could not carry out the president’s agenda and took a shot at the Times for running the piece.
“And this person . . . according to The New York Times, chose not only to stay but to undermine what President Trump and this administration are trying to do. And I ought to tell you, just I find — I find the media’s efforts in this regard to undermine this administration incredibly disturbing.”
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen
An agency spokesman told NBC News in a statement that the secretary is “focused on leading the men and women of DHS and protecting the homeland — not writing anonymous and false opinion pieces for the New York Times.”
“These types of political attacks are beneath the Secretary and the Department’s mission,” he said.
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin
A spokesperson for Mnuchin tweeted late Thursday morning that it was “laughable” to think the treasury secretary was the source of the op-ed.
.@stevenmnuchin1 is honored to serve @POTUS & the American people. He feels it was irresponsible for @nytimes to print this anonymous piece. Now, dignified public servants are forced to deny being the source. It is laughable to think this could come from the Secretary.— Tony Sayegh Jr. (@tony4ny) September 6, 2018
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson
A spokesman for Ben Carson told Bloomberg that the housing secretary was not the author.
“The Secretary didn’t write the op-ed,” Raphael Williams said, according to Bloomberg.
Defense Secretary James Mattis
Mattis is among those named in a forthcoming Bob Woodward book as criticizing the president’s intelligence. On Thursday, a spokesperson denied Mattis was the author of the Times piece.
“It was not his op-ed,” Dana White told reporters, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Energy Secretary Rick Perry
Calling the writer a “coward” for using anonymity, Energy Secretary Rick Perry tweeted that he was not the author.
I am not the author of the New York Times OpEd, nor do I agree with its characterizations. Hiding behind anonymity and smearing the President of the United States does not make you an "unsung hero", it makes you a coward, unworthy of serving this Nation.— Rick Perry (@SecretaryPerry) September 6, 2018
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross
Ross said he was “appalled” by the op-ed and denied writing it.
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos
A Twitter account belonging to a spokesperson for Education Secretary Betsy DeVos denied involvement.