Firm seeks court inquiry on compliance
Evan Richman/Globe Staff File
The strained relations between the Boston Archdiocese and the law firm representing more than 200 alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse took another contentious turn last week when church officials said they discovered four new boxes of documents containing records about the Rev. Paul R. Shanley.
The church was ordered by the courts to produce all its files on Shanley months ago, but has turned them over sporadically. Now, Roderick MacLeish Jr. of the Greenberg Traurig law firm has served church officials with notice that he will ask the court to schedule an evidentiary hearing to determine whether the archdiocese has obeyed court orders.
Sources close to the archdiocese who are knowledgeable about the issue said church officials attempting to comply with the court’s orders believed they had established a sound working relationship with Greenberg Traurig.
But in a Nov. 27 letter to Wilson Rogers Jr., the lead attorney for the archdiocese, MacLeish brushed aside a church promise to deliver the four boxes within 24 hours. “I should have received these last April,” MacLeish wrote.
The newly found records mark only the latest in a series of embarrassments for church officials. Rogers recently filed an emergency motion to seal 11,000 pages of church records concerning allegations against 65 priests, only to be admonished by Superior Court Judge Constance M. Sweeney for engaging in “an increasingly dreary effort” to delay or limit the production of church documents.
In April, after producing 800 pages of internal records about the church’s knowledge of complaints against Shanley, church officials announced only two weeks later that they had found another 800 pages.
Rogers has taken the heat for such missteps, but others who have been involved in the process said the church’s chaotic record keeping and the inexperience of chancery officials have created a nightmare for the Rogers law firm.
One person involved in the process, who spoke on the condition that he not be identified, said the archdiocese retained records of sexual abuse by priests that in some cases date back to the 1930s. In any well-run organization with a reasonable document retention policy, this person said, most of the older documents would have been destroyed long ago.
Meanwhile, he said, the archdiocese has found overlapping records in such disparate places as its secret archives, its regular archives, its personnel files, the office of the priests who have been in charge of such cases, the personal files of Cardinal Bernard F. Law and other officials, and the Creagh Research Library at the chancery.
A police officer and a local woman were shot and killed Sunday after a 20-year-old man allegedly crashed a car, attacked the officer, stole his gun, and used it to shoot both victims. The suspect is in custody and expected to be arraigned on Monday.Continue reading »
Garrett Matthias, 5, thought about what his funeral would look like one day. He did not want a solemn gathering; he wanted a carnivallike atmosphere.Continue reading »
Michael Chesna, 42, a six-year veteran of the Weymouth police department, was shot not far from where he grew up, his father-in-law, Francis Doran, said in a phone interview.Continue reading »
A look at the Clinton blunders that continue to damage his party today — and what might have happened if George H.W. Bush had won a second term.Continue reading »
Xander Bogaerts homered again and the Sox used six pitchers to get their 12th win in 13 games.Continue reading »
As broad cost-cutting measures and staff realignments continue to batter State Police on the mainland, sleepy island barracks on Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard continue to endure.Continue reading »
Heather Astaneh was livid when a package she ordered arrived late, so she wrote a complaint on the US Postal Service website. Three years later, her case is in federal court.Continue reading »
While Smart waits for a contract, the team has to decide how to use its 15th, and final, roster spot.Continue reading »
A man killed by Chicago police had a gun in a holster at his hip and was shot multiple times as he ran away, spun around and reached toward his waist, according to footage released Sunday from an officer’s body-worn camera.Continue reading »