fb-pixel Skip to main content

Bahrain police fire tear gas at demonstrators

MANAMA, Bahrain - Security forces fired tear gas and stun grenades at protesters trying to occupy a landmark square in the nation’s capital yesterday ahead of the one-year anniversary of the Gulf kingdom’s Shi’ite-led uprising.

Thousands of opposition supporters marched through Manama’s streets in the largest attempt in months to retake Pearl Square, which was the epicenter of weeks of protests last year by Bahrain’s Shi’ite majority against the ruling Sunni dynasty.

Thousands of riot police and other security forces staked out positions around the square and across the Gulf island nation to prevent the opposition from staging a mass rally in or near the plaza to mark today’s one-year anniversary of the revolt.


Opposition supporters were undeterred by warnings of zero tolerance for antigovernment activities around the strategic island that is the home of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet.

“We will not back down,’’ said Nader Abdulimam, who had taken refuge in a house just outside of Manama with other protesters overcome by tear gas. “This has gone on for one year and it will go for another year or more.’’

Some protesters hurled firebombs and rocks after the security forces fired tear gas. In an area about 6 miles west of central Manama, some demonstrators stood atop Bahrain’s ancient burial mounds waving flags featuring the image of Pearl Square’s six-pronged monument.

More than 50 police vehicles filled a site that protesters have dubbed Freedom Square, which hosted government-sanctioned opposition gatherings last week.

After the government imposed martial law last March in response to the demonstrations, security forces stormed the protesters’ encampment at the square in a bid to crush the uprising. The authorities then razed the towering white monument in the center of the plaza.

The square holds great symbolic value for Bahrain’s opposition movement, and protesters have repeatedly tried to reoccupy it. But authorities have effectively locked off the capital to demonstrations since March.