You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Attacks across Afghanistan kill at least 20

KABUL — At least 20 people were killed in four insurgent attacks around Afghanistan on Thursday, according to police and government officials.

The worst attack was a roadside bomb that blew up as a pickup truck crammed with civilians passed by, killing 10 people, five of them women and one a child, said Abdul Zirak, the spokesman for the governor of Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan. Six other civilians were wounded.

Continue reading below

That attack took place at 7:30 a.m. in the troubled Musa Qala district in Helmand, a former Taliban stronghold that was never fully subdued by US Marines in their offensive last year.

Since the withdrawal of American surge forces in the ­area, with replacements from Afghan military forces, such attacks have steadily increased, local leaders say.

In Kandahar city in southern Afghanistan, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle struck a police checkpoint just before dawn, killing three officers, said Javed Faisal, spokesman for the governor of Kandahar Province.

Although Kandahar city had been greatly quieted during the US surge, suicide attacks remain a threat, particularly against police targets.

The provincial police chief, General Abdul Raziq, was nearly killed by a suicide bomber in late August and has not fully recovered from his wounds.

In the eastern province of Laghman, a roadside bomb detonated as an Afghan National Army supply convoy passed by in the Badpakht district, killing five soldiers and wounding one. Laghman was one of the earliest areas where international forces had passed security responsibility to the Afghans.

Since that transition in Laghman began last year, the level of violence in the province has been steadily increasing, according to local officials and elders.

In the fourth attack, in Zabul Province in the south, a bomb hidden in a garbage container exploded, killing two boys who were collecting garbage and wounding three policemen, according to the provincial police chief, Assadullah Shirzad.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.