TEHRAN — Iran’s state prosecutor confirmed Monday that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week and that wounds were found on his body, the first official confirmation of his death while being held.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the ‘‘suspicious death.’’
The prosecutor’s statement came a day after Iran’s Parliament announced it would investigate reports on the circumstances of Sattar Beheshti’s death.
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi told reporters that Beheshti was detained Oct. 30 for alleged cybercrimes and taken to Evin prison in north Tehran the next day. Beheshti was handed over to detectives for interrogation the same day. He died Nov. 3.
‘‘The coroner’s office has provided a detailed report saying that signs of wounds were found in five places on this person’s body, including foot, hand, back, and one of his thighs, but no broken bones,’’ the semiofficial Mehr news agency quoted Ejehi as saying.
Ejehi said a final report on the cause of Beheshti’s death may take as long as 45 days to release.
The semiofficial ISNA news agency quoted Ejehi as saying that in a letter of complaint, Beheshti charged that he was subject to ‘‘threats, insults and beatings.’’