World

Michelin eatery in Denmark sickens 63

COPENHAGEN— Danish food safety officials ordered a cleanup and better food handling at Noma, one of the world’s top restaurants, after more than 60 people fell ill with viral gastroenteritis from eating at the two-star Michelin eatery that has also hit top spot three times in the world’s best restaurants list in Restaurant magazine.

The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said Friday it had investigated the popular, waterfront restaurant in Copenhagen after complaints from customers who had dined there during a week in February. It was not immediately clear what food had caused the problems.

Agency spokesman Morten Lisby described the outbreak that caused vomiting and diarrhea as ‘‘massive.’’

Advertisement

The 63 infected people ate at Noma between Feb. 12 and 16, according to a food safety report based on an inspection of local restaurants and food retail companies a week later.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Restaurant manager Peter Kreiner apologized for the incidents and said they were trying to track the source of the outbreak with officials.

‘‘Our business is based on having satisfied customers here and we’re incredibly sorry on behalf of our guests,’’ Kreiner told Danish TV2. He said the restaurant had contacted the agency as soon as it became aware of the complaints.

Associated Press