Next Score View the next score

    Taliban says bombings a message to US

    Nations at odds over a military prison handoff

    Afghan Army soldiers inspected the scene of a suicide bombing Saturday outside the Defense Ministry in Kabul.
    S. Sabawoon/EPA
    Afghan Army soldiers inspected the scene of a suicide bombing Saturday outside the Defense Ministry in Kabul.

    KABUL — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel got a stark taste of the challenges that continue to bedevil Afghanistan on Saturday, as insurgents carried out two deadly bombings, one within earshot of the Pentagon chief.

    The Afghan government, meanwhile, abruptly canceled a ceremony scheduled for Saturday that had been meant to show that Kabul and Washington had finally reached a deal for the hand-over of a US military prison.

    Afghan President Hamid Karzai at the last minute balked at the proposed terms of the hand-over of the Parawn Detention Facility, Afghan and US officials said, dashing hopes that a resolution of a contentious issue that has poisoned the relationship between the two countries was in sight.


    On Saturday night, Karzai issued a statement saying the prison hand-over would occur this week, but it was not clear whether it reflected an aspiration or an actual resolution.

    Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
    The day's top stories delivered every morning.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Hagel’s first full day in Kabul as defense chief started ominously, as a suicide bomber riding a bicycle detonated explosives outside the main gate of the Defense Ministry, a rare security breach in one of the capital’s most heavily policed areas. Nine people were killed and 10 were wounded in the attack, Mohammed Daud Amin, the deputy police commander of Kabul, said. The majority of the victims were civilians.

    Less than an hour after the Kabul blast, a man detonated a vest loaded with explosives near the capital of the eastern Khost province, killing eight children and one police officer, said Mobarez Zadran, a provincial spokesman. Afghan officials said the man was targeting a joint US-Afghan military patrol when he was stopped by the police officer, which led him to trigger the explosive device. The slain children were playing in the area at the time of the attack, officials said.

    ‘‘We’re at war,’’ Hagel said later, speaking to reporters at a military base in Jalalabad, also in the east, where he traveled to meet with US troops. ‘‘War didn’t stop. That’s just the reality.’’

    A Taliban spokesman said the group had carried out Saturday’s attack in Kabul in an effort to prevent Hagel from ‘‘spreading lies’’ about the insurgency’s weakness.


    Violence was not the only disappointment of the day.

    US and Afghan officials have been at odds for more than a year over the fate of detainees in American custody in Afghanistan. Karzai wants the Americans to cease detention operations entirely, but US officials have insisted on a phased hand-over of their detention system, arguing that an abrupt hand-over would be dangerous.

    Karzai balked on Friday to a few of the terms Afghan and American negotiators had reached in the latest round of talks, prompting the Afghan government to hastily scrap the ceremony at the Parwan detention facility, which would have presented an image of synergy between Washington and Kabul during Hagel’s visit.

    ‘‘The Parwan deal has been a long time in the making,’’ a senior defense official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the dispute. ‘‘There have been a few hiccups at the end.’’

    The official said the terms Karzai has not agreed to are not substantial, adding that these disputes have become a common part of the US-Afghan relationship. ‘‘This happens frequently, especially with the Afghans,’’ the official said.


    Beyond the detention issue, Karzai has sought to curb US military authority by calling for the expulsion of special forces from a key eastern province that serves as a gateway to the capital.