World

Al Qaeda takes responsibility for suicide blast in Mali

BAMAKO, Mali — Al ­Qaeda’s local chapter took responsibility for an attack on Timbuktu this weekend, as French and Malian forces Monday continued to hunt down the jihadists who infiltrated the ancient northern Malian town.

The claim of responsibility and the boldness of the attack renews fears that Al Qaeda’s local fighters are regrouping and have not been uprooted by a three-month-old French-led offensive.

Advertisement

A spokesman for Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb issued a statement on the al-Sharq website in Mauritania, saying the attack on Timbuktu was led by an Algerian suicide bomber belonging to the Yusuf bin Tashfin brigade, a platoon under the command of the late Al Qaeda emir Abou Zeid, who was killed last month by French forces.

The attack in Timbuktu began when an explosive-loaded car detonated itself at a checkpoint on the outskirts of the city, French and Malian military officials confirmed. But the suicide explosion appeared to have been a ruse, allowing fighters to infiltrate the city while security forces rushed to reinforce the checkpoint, said army Captain Samba Coulibaly, spokesman for Mali’s armed forces in Timbuktu.

Get Todays Headlines in your inbox:
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Fighters from the Al Qaeda cell infiltrated the town, arriving on scooters and on foot, and taking positions at the swimming pool inside the ­centrally located Hotel Colombe, a hotel regularly used by journalists and aid workers.

‘‘A group of seven jihadists infiltrated our garden,’’ said Hotel Colombe’s manager Mahamane Toure. ‘‘The combat lasted all night,’’ he said.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.