World

2 arrested in Canada terror plot

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews spoke about the plot Monday. Officials say the plotters received Al Qaeda guidance.

Chris Wattie/REUTERS

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews spoke about the plot Monday. Officials say the plotters received Al Qaeda guidance.

TORONTO — Two men were arrested and charged with plotting a terrorist attack against a Canadian passenger train with support from Al Qaeda ‘‘elements’’ in Iran, police said Monday.

Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, who live in Montreal and Toronto, were planning to derail a Via Rail passenger train in Toronto but posed no immediate threat, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.

Advertisement

‘‘This is the first known Al Qaeda planned attack that we’ve experienced in Canada,’’ Superintendent Doug Best told a news conference.

RCMP’s assistant commissioner, James Malizia, said the two men had ‘‘direction and guidance’’ from ‘‘Al Qaeda elements located in Iran,’’ though there was no reason to think the planned attacks were state-sponsored. Police said the men did not get financial support from Al Qaeda, but declined to provide more details.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

‘‘It was definitely in the planning stage but not imminent,’’ said RCMP’s chief superintendent, Jennifer Strachan. ‘‘We are alleging that these two individuals took steps and conducted activities to initiate a terrorist attack. They watched trains and railways.’’

Charges against the two men include conspiring to carry out an attack and murder people in association with a terrorist group. Police said the men are not Canadian citizens, but declined to say where they were from or why they were in the country. Best said they had been in Canada ‘‘a significant amount of time,’’ but would not say how long.

The investigation was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the US Department of Homeland Security.

Advertisement

There is no connection between the Canadian terrorist plot and the Boston Marathon bombings, said a US Justice Department official in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity because the source was not permitted to speak on the record about the matter.

Strachan said the two men will have a bail hearing in Toronto on Tuesday.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com