PARIS — France has confirmed a second case of a deadly new respiratory virus related to SARS, authorities said Sunday, as they increased efforts to inform the public about how to avoid the illness and watch for its signs.
A hospital roommate of the 65-year-old man who initially contracted the virus tested positive for the illness. The second patient’s condition has deteriorated, requiring treatment in intensive care, Health Minister Marisol Touraine said at a news conference.
The minister added that the first patient is ‘‘in a stable but worrisome situation.’’
Touraine said pamphlets listing precautionary measures and potential signs of illness will be available at French airports for travelers, especially those visiting the Arabian Peninsula, where many cases of the virus have been reported.
The novel coronavirus has killed 18 people since being identified last year, out of more than 30 confirmed cases reported to the World Health Organization since September 2012. The first French patient had just returned from vacationing in Dubai on an organized tour when he fell ill.