Police move in, and blood and chaos fill the streets

A young man mourned next to the bodies of protesters killed during the clearing of a sit-in of Morsi supporters.
A young man mourned next to the bodies of protesters killed during the clearing of a sit-in of Morsi supporters.

CAIRO — The warnings had been coming for weeks. But the violent attack by Egyptian military and police on the Rabaa al-Adawiya protest camp was stunning in its ferocity, an assault that transformed nearby streets into a war zone.

Two colleagues and I reached the site just before 8 a.m. Wednesday, about an hour after security forces launched a raid on the camp, where men, women, and children have rallied for the past six weeks, demanding the reinstatement of ousted president Mohammed Morsi.

Violence was spilling over into the side streets. Police carried a wounded colleague past us. A police officer beat a teenager over the head with a handgun before hauling the youth away. A woman implored a police officer not to kill protesters as they shoved back a man who, through tears, said he was trying to get to his little sister, who was trapped inside Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque.


Police suddenly opened fire with tear gas and then bullets. Women and men ran down the block, screaming.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

‘‘If I see you again, I’ll shoot you in the leg,’’ a police officer told me and my colleagues, Sharaf al-Hourani and Mansour Mohamed. Security forces on the roof of a nearby building watched us through binoculars. Two helicopters circled.

We became trapped between police cordons as pro-Morsi protesters marched on a line where hundreds of black-clad police faced outward. ‘‘With life, with blood, we sacrifice for Islam,’’ they chanted, until police opened fire with an onslaught of bullets and tear gas. At times, the rapid fire of automatic guns sounded like it was coming from all directions.

We dropped to the pavement and crawled downhill into a low alley shielded on two sides from the street. We lay there with two young Egyptian reporters as barrage after barrage of gunfire resounded a few hundred yards away, where police appeared to be clashing with protesters.

Young men wheeled four metal carts down the street, each containing a wounded man; they approached the cordon cautiously, hoping to deliver them to the other side.


Government forces unleashed fire that seemed indiscriminate. Along with scores of Morsi supporters, those who were felled included two journalists and the teenage daughter of a prominent Brotherhood leader. Snipers also shot at people who tried to approach or leave a makeshift hospital inside the camp, where dozens of dead lined the floor.

By noon, the clashes that were pinning us down began to abate, the police having pushed protesters back from their cordon. We edged our way out, past rows of police and a vehicle, to where bloodied men detained by government forces sat on benches, clutching their heads and awaiting their fates.