World

Koreas to restore military hot line

SEOUL — North Korea agreed Thursday to restore a cross-border military hot line with South Korea, in another sign of easing tensions between the rivals in recent weeks, the South Korean government said.

North Korea in March shut down the telephone and fax lines used to coordinate cross-border travel to a joint industrial park in Kaesong that has since been shuttered. During the spring, North Korea issued threats including vows to launch nuclear strikes on Seoul and Washington, but later dialed down its rhetoric and made conciliatory gestures.

Advertisement

On Thursday, the two Koreas agreed at a meeting in Kaesong to restart the hot line beginning Friday, Seoul’s Unification Ministry said.

The two Koreas agreed last month to work toward a reopening of the industrial complex, which had been the last symbol of reconciliation between the countries before North Korea suspended its operations in April. In June, the Koreas restored another communications channel at a border village.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

But last week, North Korea withdrew its invitation to a US envoy to visit to discuss the release of a detained American, citing the alleged participation of US nuclear-capable bombers in military exercises.

Associated Press

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.