STAVANGER, Norway — A man suspected of stabbing three people to death during an attack on a bus in rural Norway was due to have been deported on Tuesday after the country rejected his application for asylum, police said.
Police spokeswoman Eli Anne Tvergrov said the 31-year-old suspect is from South Sudan and had been living at a reception center for asylum seekers in the nearby town of Aardal.
The man, who was not named, was due to have been arrested on Tuesday and sent back to Spain to have his application for asylum reviewed there, said Linda Hafstad of the Norwegian National Police Immigration Center.
Under European Union regulations, which also are followed by non-EU member Norway, asylum requests are supposed to be processed in the European country of initial entry, which in the suspect’s case was Spain.
Police allege the man boarded the bus in a remote, mountainous area near Aardal on Monday and stabbed to death the other occupants on board: two men in their 50s — the Norwegian bus driver and a Swedish male passenger — and a 19-year-old Norwegian woman.
The suspect was apprehended by rescuers from the Fire Department and ambulance staff who arrived at what they thought was an accident scene, some 6 miles from where he was thought to have boarded the bus.