You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Syrian troops take village after report of killings

Opposition says blast elsewhere left 18 dead

Syrians stood in the rubble after a reported airstrike attack on the city of Aleppo Tuesday.

ZEIN AL-RIFAI/AFP/Getty Images

Syrians stood in the rubble after a reported airstrike attack on the city of Aleppo Tuesday.

BEIRUT — Government troops have regained full control of a village in central Syria after ousting rebels accused of killing dozens of people there, state media said Tuesday as activists reported an explosion in a southern town killed at least 18 people.

The SANA state news agency said government troops seized control of the village of Maan in Hama province on Monday after destroying the last ‘‘hideouts of terrorists, who came into the village and committed a massacre.’’

Continue reading below

The government refers to rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar Assad as terrorists.

Syria’s nearly three-year-old conflict has grown increasingly sectarian, pitting a rebellion dominated by the country’s Sunni Muslim majority against Assad’s government and its security forces, which are stacked with members of the leader’s Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi’ite Islam.

Opposition activists have also reported sectarian killings in Maan earlier this month. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 40 people, most of them Alawites, were killed when hard-line, anti-Assad Islamic fighters overran the village Feb. 9.

In southern Syria, a blast in the town of Muzayrib in Daraa province killed at least 18 people, including four children, the Observatory for Human Rights said.

Observatory director Rami Abdurrahman said it was unclear whether the explosion was a car bomb or an airstrike.

In the neighboring province of Quneitra, the army was reinforcing its positions in an effort to dislodge rebels from the area near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.

Abdurrahman reported heavy fighting in the hilly area just south of Quneitra city, the provincial capital.

He said the army is bringing more tanks, heavy artillery, and troops to the region that has been under control of hard-line Islamic rebel groups for months.

The government’s apparent showdown with the rebels in the south comes a day after the Syrian opposition named a new military chief. Brigadier General Abdul-Ilah al-Bashir hails from southern Syria and was an army commander in Quneitra until 2012, when he defected to the opposition.

The Observatory also reported heavy government shelling of Yabroud, the last rebel-held town near Syria’s border with Lebanon. Yabroud is located in the mountainous Qalamoun region. Government troops, backed by Lebanese Hezbollah fighters, have been on a crushing offensive there since early December, trying to sever a main thoroughfare for rebels from Lebanon.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.