LONDON — Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks told jurors at her phone-hacking trial Friday that she did not know of a substantial contract between her newspaper and a private investigator who has admitted illegal eavesdropping.
She said she was unaware of a contract for her newspaper to pay 92,000 pounds a year to private investigator Glenn Mulcaire. She acknowledged that such an expenditure normally would have required her approval.
Brooks, 45, faces one charge of conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office, as well as charges of conspiring to hack phones and obstruct police. Her husband, racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks, and her former deputy and former lover Andy Coulson are on trial as well.
The jury had learned of her affair with Coulson when the prosecution presented its case earlier in the trial, which has lasted four months so far. The affair was introduced to show the close relationship between Brooks and Coulson.