Thailand’s junta bans anticoup protests

Military blocks Bangkok streets

BANGKOK — More than 1,000 Thai troops and police sealed off one of Bangkok’s busiest intersections Thursday to prevent a protest, as authorities said they would no longer allow demonstrations against last week’s military coup.

Truckloads of soldiers blocked roads to the capital’s Victory Monument in a massive show of force at the height of evening rush hour in one of the city’s commuter bus hubs.

More than a dozen police prisoner trucks were parked along the emptied roundabout, but there was little sign of protesters, who have come out almost daily to defy a ban on political gatherings.


A Belgian man was detained for displaying a T-shirt saying ‘‘PEACE PLEASE,’’ and two Thai women were taken away after they showed signs with anticoup messages.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The demonstrations have been small and mostly leaderless, but protesters had planned to gather Thursday and called for a mass rally on Sunday.

General Somyot Poompanmoung, the deputy national police chief, said the small protests would no longer be allowed. He said nine companies of soldiers and police — about 1,350 — were deployed in Thursday’s operation.

‘‘We know their rally is mainly for symbolic reasons,’’ he said. ‘‘We have to keep the law sacred.’’ Somyot warned that if protesters change tactics, ‘‘we are ready to tackle that.’’

In another part of the city, about 100 students held an anticoup protest on the campus of prestigious Thammasat University, which ended peacefully.


The large army deployment came a day after hundreds of protesters gathered at Victory Monument and outnumbered soldiers. Scuffles broke out in which water bottles and other objects were hurled at soldiers.

The mounting tension comes a week after the army seized power, overthrowing a government that won a landslide election victory three years earlier. The army says it had to act to restore order after seven months of turbulence.

Earlier Thursday, the army said that it plans to hold elections but offered no time frame.