JERUSALEM — The abduction and suspected revenge killing of an Arab youth sparked intense clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli security forces in East Jerusalem on Wednesday, raising the specter of wider violence two days after three kidnapped Israeli teenagers were found dead in the occupied West Bank.

Israeli police said late Wednesday that they had yet to confirm the circumstances of 16-year-old Mohammad Abu Khieder’s disappearance or identify a badly burned body found in a forest outside Jerusalem, but Israeli news media, citing anonymous security officials, said authorities had determined that Khieder was probably killed by Jews in a ‘‘nationalistic crime.’’


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called for restraint as he convened his security Cabinet for the third straight night to discuss a response to the kidnappings and killings. Israel has blamed the slaying of the Israeli teens on the militant Islamist group Hamas, and on Wednesday Palestinian leaders accused extremist Jewish settlers of killing Khieder.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned settlers for ‘‘killing and burning a little boy.’’ He demanded, in a statement, that Israel ‘‘hold the killers accountable.’’

As reports of the Palestinian teen’s death spread, street battles broke out between security forces and residents from the youth’s neighborhood in East Jerusalem, which has been annexed by Israel. Palestinian protesters hurled firebombs and stones at Israeli police officers and soldiers and smashed and set fire to transit stops in the neighborhood. Israeli forces responded with tear gas, rubber bullets, and smoke grenades. Clashes were continuing Wednesday night but had calmed somewhat, witnesses said.

The killing of the Palestinian youth occurred one day after Israel buried the three teenagers — Naftali Fraenkel, 16, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Eyal Yifrach, 19 — who disappeared June 12 while hitchhiking home from their religious schools in the West Bank. Their bodies were discovered Monday in a field near the city of Hebron, prompting a national outpouring of anger and grief.


Khieder’s relatives said he was abducted about 4 a.m. while waiting alone outside his home for the early-morning call to prayer. Bushra Abu Khieder, his aunt, said a surveillance camera at her husband’s nearby store recorded the scene, which showed a Hyundai car being driven toward her nephew and turning around three times. When it stopped, one of the passengers approached him, asked a question, and then grabbed him and pushed him into the car, she said. Israeli police said they were reviewing the video footage.

Khieder’s mother, Suha Abu Khieder, told reporters that her son had been ‘‘robbed from my lap.’’ Referring to the murdered Israeli teens, she said: ‘‘Their sons were important to them, just like my son is important to me.’’

Netanyahu urged police to ‘‘swiftly investigate who was behind the loathsome murder and its motive’’ and called on all sides ‘‘not to take the law into their own hands.’’

Israel police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said police located the body within 90 minutes after receiving reports that a Palestinian teenager had been pulled into a car. He said police were trying to determine whether Wednesday’s killing had a ‘‘criminal or nationalistic’’ motive.

As the situation simmered, there was rising fear that the spiraling violence could be the spark that ignites a third Palestinian intifada, or uprising, against the Israeli occupation, just months after the collapse of the latest round of Mideast peace talks.


Israeli forces have carried out a massive security operation across the West Bank in recent weeks, arresting more than 400 alleged terror operatives and killing at least five Palestinians during a search for the Israeli teens and their captors.

On Wednesday, the Israeli military said that nine rockets had been fired Wednesday at Israel from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip and that all landed in unpopulated areas. Israel responded in the late afternoon with airstrikes on what the military said were the launching sites of four of the rockets.

At the same time, protesters in Jerusalem gathered at the western entrance of the city to protest what they said had been an inadequate government response to the killing of the Israeli teens. ‘‘The people demand collective punishment,’’ they chanted.