Next Score View the next score

    US general with Mass. connection killed in Afghanistan

    Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene.
    US Army/Associated press
    Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene.

    KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A U.S. official has identified the senior officer killed in Afghanistan Tuesday as Maj. Gen. Harold Greene, the highest-ranking American officer killed in combat since 1970.

    Greene was the deputy commanding general, Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan. An engineer by training, Greene was involved in preparing Afghan forces for the time when U.S.-coalition troops leave at the end of this year.

    He spent part of his military career in Massachusetts, where he was commanding general of the Natick Soldier Systems Center, which develops technical equipment for soldiers in the field. It employs about 1,600 people.


    The attack at Marshal Fahim National Defense University underscored the tensions that persist as the U.S. combat role winds down — and it wasn’t the only assault by an Afghan ally on coalition forces on Tuesday. In eastern Paktia province, an Afghan police guard exchanged fire with NATO troops near the governor’s office, provincial police said. The guard was killed in the gunfight.

    Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
    The day's top stories delivered every morning.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    It wasn’t clear if the two incidents were linked, and police said they were investigating.

    The circumstances of the lethal attack at the defense university were murky. The wounded included a German brigadier general and two Afghan generals, officials said. A U.S. official said that of the estimated 15 wounded, about half were Americans, several of them in serious condition.

    U.S. officials still asserted confidence in their partnership with the Afghan military, which appears to be holding its own against the Taliban but will soon be operating independently once most U.S.-led coalition forces leave at the end of the year.

    The Iraq and Afghanistan wars have taken more than 6,700 U.S. lives.


    Former Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown, a retired National Guard colonel and former state senator, recalled Greene as ‘‘a good man, a great leader and a mentor to me and all who knew him.’’ Brown, now a Republican Senate candidate in New Hampshire, said Greene’s death ‘‘is a reminder that conditions remain very tenuous in Afghanistan.’’

    Joshua Ostroff, chairman of Natick’s governing board of selectmen, said Greene was a ‘‘friendly, forward-thinking leader’’ and a ‘‘great partner.’’ The town of 33,000 people is about 15 miles west of Boston.

    ‘‘He initiated a great partnership and collaboration with the town,’’ Ostroff said. ‘‘He was instrumental in kicking off a redesign of the facility to make it more of a modern campus and was very agreeable to working with the community on areas of public safety, public works and economic development.’’

    Greene, a native of Albany, New York, said in an Army public relations interview as he left the Natick command that he valued the patriotic heritage of Massachusetts, where his parents grew up. He recalled attending patriotic ceremonies with family members in Franklin, and later representing the Army at events such as Iwo Jima Day at the Massachusetts Capitol. ‘‘It makes you proud; it makes you want to serve,’’ Greene said. Greene, a 34-year veteran, was the highest ranking American officer killed in combat since the Vietnam War.

    Insider attacks in Afghanistan rose sharply in 2012, with more than 60 coalition troops — mostly Americans — killed in 40-plus attacks that threatened to shatter all trust between Afghan and allied forces. U.S. commanders imposed a series of precautionary tactics, and the number of such attacks declined sharply last year.


    The White House said President Barack Obama was briefed on the shooting. Obama and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel both spoke with Gen. Joseph Dunford, the top U.S. general in Kabul, who said a joint U.S.-Afghan investigation was underway and who assured his bosses he still had confidence in the Afghan military.

    Kirby said the general and other officials were on a routine visit to the military university on a base west of Kabul.

    Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan’s Defense Ministry, said a ‘‘terrorist in an army uniform’’ opened fire on both local and international troops. Azimi and U.S. officials said the shooter was killed.

    Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid praised in a statement the ‘‘Afghan soldier’’ who carried out the attack. He did not claim the Taliban carried out the attack, although in the past the Taliban have encouraged such actions.

    Such assaults are sometimes claimed by the Taliban insurgency as proof of their infiltration. Others are attributed to personal disputes or resentment by Afghans who have soured on the continued international presence in their country more than a dozen years after the fall of the Taliban from power.

    Mark Jacobson, a former NATO deputy civilian representative to Afghanistan and now a senior adviser at the private Truman National Security Project, said the threat of Afghan troops turning their guns of their American partners is a serious problem.

    ‘‘Any sort of insider attack, no matter who the victim is, is going to have an impact on the morale of soldiers,’’ Jacobsen said, adding that when a higher-ranking officer is killed, ‘‘you might see a wider impact on morale.’’

    Foreign aid workers, contractors, journalists and other civilians in Afghanistan are increasingly becoming targets of violence as the U.S.-led military coalition continues a withdrawal to be complete by the end of the year.

    Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned Tuesday’s attack as ‘‘cowardly.’’

    It is ‘‘an act by the enemies who don’t want to see Afghanistan have strong institutions,’’ Karzai said in a statement.

    The site of the attack is part of a military compound known as Camp Qargha, sometimes called ‘‘Sandhurst in the Sand"— referring to the famed British military academy — because British forces oversaw building the officer school and its training program.

    Soldiers were tense in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. One soldier in a NATO convoy leaving Camp Qargha fired an apparent warning shot in the vicinity of Associated Press journalists who were in a car, as well as pedestrians standing nearby. AP photographer Massoud Hossaini said he and an AP colleague were about 15 feet from the soldier at the time. Hossaini said he thought the soldier fired a pistol.

    ‘‘The vehicle before the last one, someone shouted at me,’’ Hossaini said. ‘‘The last one, the soldier opened fire.’’

    No one was wounded.

    Elsewhere Tuesday, a NATO helicopter strike targeting missile-launching Taliban militants killed four civilians in western Afghanistan, an Afghan official said. NATO said it was investigating.


    Burns reported from Washington.


    Associated Press writers David Rising in Berlin, Danica Kirka in London, Amir Shah in Kabul, Afghanistan, Jon Gambrell in Cairo and AP Radio correspondent Sagar Meghani in Washington contributed to this report.