PARIS — About 3,200 Parisians attended free first aid training in the French capital on Saturday to be better prepared for possible terror attacks.
The two-hour sessions provided Saturday by rescuers in every district of Paris aimed to teach participants how to react in emergency situations. The measure was approved by the Paris city council in December in the wake of the Nov. 13 attacks that killed 130 people.
‘‘We must all know the five or six basic techniques that will help protecting the population if ever there are other attacks,’’ said Dr. Patrick Pelloux, an emergency room doctor. Pelloux was also a columnist for Charlie Hebdo and was among the first to arrive at the satirical newspaper’s offices after the Jan. 7 massacre there last year.
Paris plans to repeat the event at least once a year.
‘‘I was so shocked by the attack in Paris, and again this week in Brussels, that I wanted to be able to do the right thing at the right moment, in order not to feel powerless if I ever have to face an emergency situation,’’ 29-year-old Parisian Aurelie Bois said.
The capital’s firefighters and the French Red Cross have noted a sharp increase in demand for their first aid training programs since the Paris attacks.
On Tuesday night, French soccer players will team will return to the Stade de France in Paris for the first time since the bombings at the national stadium.
Security measures in place on Tuesday night will include increased checks on public transportation and around the stadium. A first safety perimeter will be set up away from the gates with ticket checks and body searches. Fans will face more security measures once at the turnstiles.
French rugby players have played three Six Nations matches at the stadium since the attacks, without incidents amid strengthened security.
With France and the rest of Europe on high alert following the Brussels attacks on Tuesday, the game will also serve as a dress rehearsal for security services ahead of the monthlong Euro 2016, starting June 10. About 2.5 million fans are expected to attend matches in 10 host cities, giving authorities a major security challenge.
Despite the high level of threat, France defender Christophe Jallet said he would not be discouraging his friends from going to the Stade de France.
‘‘Life should go back to normal,’’ Jallet was quoted as saying by L'Equipe newspaper website.
‘‘Everything is being done to guarantee security,’’ France coach Didier Deschamps said. ‘‘The Paris and Brussels tragedies are a reminder of the current environment, but we need to move forward.’’