British banker guilty of murdering Indonesians in Hong Kong

HONG KONG — A British banker was convicted of murder Tuesday for killing two Indonesian women in Hong Kong, torturing one of them over three days while using cocaine in a gruesome case that shocked the Chinese financial hub.

The nine-person jury returned unanimous verdicts against Rurik Jutting after a two-week trial in the High Court.

The slayings in 2014 and disclosures as the case developed highlighted Hong Kong’s significant inequality as well as the decadent lifestyles of some members of the former British colony’s expatriate elite.


Jutting bowed his head briefly as the verdicts were read out to a packed courtroom but otherwise showed little reaction. He was given an automatic mandatory life sentence.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Although he has the right to an appeal, his defense lawyer indicated ahead of the verdict that Jutting would request a transfer to a British prison to serve out his sentence there.

In a statement that his lawyer asked to be read into the court record, Jutting said he was sorry and accepted the verdicts as ‘‘just and appropriate punishment.’’ He also said he was haunted by his actions and the pain he’d caused to the women’s loved ones.

A Cambridge University graduate who worked for Bank of America-Merrill Lynch, Jutting was convicted of killing 23-year-old Sumarti Ningsih and then killing 26-year-old Seneng Mujiasih days later. The two originally came to Hong Kong as foreign maids but ended up as sex workers.

As statements from their families were read out by the prosecutor, Jutting stared at the floor.


Jurors were shown graphic smartphone video clips taken by Jutting of his apparent torture of Sumarti, which the judge deemed too graphic for the public to view.

He slit her throat and then nearly decapitated her when she didn’t die immediately, according to facts agreed upon by both the prosecution and defense. He then stuffed her body inside a suitcase that he left on the balcony of his upscale apartment near Hong Kong’s famous Wan Chai red-light district.

Jutting had planned to torture Mujiasih with about $900 worth of tools and sex toys he had bought hours before. But he killed her when she spotted a gag in his apartment and wouldn’t stop screaming, according to the two sides.

After the verdict, Judge Michael Stuart-Moore called the case ‘‘one of the most horrifying murder cases to come to the courts in Hong Kong.’’

‘‘There are insufficient superlatives to describe the cruelty’’ that Jutting inflicted on Ningsih and planned for Mujiasih, he said, adding that the defendant had not shown ‘‘one shred of remorse’’ and rejected his apology.


He called Jutting an ‘‘archetypal sexual predator’’ and cited testimony from an expert psychiatric witness who said Jutting would be prone to committing sexual violence again.

Ningsih’s brother, Suyit Khaliman, said the family welcomed the verdict and was grateful that Jutting was given the maximum penalty under Hong Kong law.