WASHINGTON — President Trump on Monday again took aim at US policy on North Korea, saying that it has been unsuccessful and that America has given ‘‘billions of dollars’’ and received nothing in return.
Trump’s recent tweets on North Korea have prompted questions about whether the president is leaning toward military action. On Saturday, Trump said US ‘‘negotiators’’ were made to look like fools and ‘‘only one thing will work.’’ One prominent Senate Republican, Bob Corker, told The New York Times that he is concerned that Trump could set the US ‘‘on the path to World War III.’’
On Monday, Trump tweeted: ‘‘Our country has been unsuccessfully dealing with North Korea for 25 years, giving billions of dollars & getting nothing. Policy didn’t work!’’
It’s not the first the time Trump has spoken out about previous US policy regarding North Korea.
■ On Aug. 30, Trump said the US had been paying the rogue nation “extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!”
■ On Oct. 1, Trump seemed to criticize Secretary of State Rex Tillerson for being open to talks with the North Koreans. “He is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man,” tweeted Trump, in reference to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Added Trump: “Being nice to Rocket Man hasn’t worked in 25 years, why would it work now?” Kim has been the country’s leader since 2011. His father, Kim Jong Il, ruled from 1994 until his death in 2011.