BUCHAREST, Romania — How safe is it to eat snow? A Romanian university has published the results of just such a study.
The 2017 experiment showed it was safe to eat snow that was a half-day old, and safer to eat it in the colder months.
But by two days old, the snow is not safe to eat, Istvan Mathe, a professor at the Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania, said.
Scientists collected snow from a park and from a roundabout in Miercurea Ciuc, central Romania, in January and February and placed it in sterile containers.
They then tried to grow bacteria and mold in them.
‘‘Very fresh snow has very little bacteria,’’ Mathe said Thursday. ‘‘After two days, however, there are dozens of bacteria.’’
He said the microorganisms increase because of impurities in the air.
Rich students outnumber lower-income ones, 23-to-1, at Harvard. How to close that gulf is an issue of deep disagreement.Continue reading »
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been shot in the head, face, throat and jaw so when agents questioned him, he answered by writing in black ink onto a three-hole notebook.Continue reading »
Long considered an urban scourge, rats are infesting well-to-do neighborhoods, startling residents and flummoxing local authorities.Continue reading »
Search teams from Amazon are back out on the road, kicking the tires at potential sites for its hotly contested second headquarters. But not in Boston.Continue reading »
The ballot question is too blunt an instrument to cure nurse staffing issues for Mass. hospitals.Continue reading »
There are some tough calls in this World Series. Here’s who we think has the edges at each spot.Continue reading »